Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 7:46:26 AM EDT
I'm installing an extended threaded barrel on one of the guns I occasionally use for CCW.  The reason is so that I can eventually use a suppressor with it.

If I were ever forced to shoot someone in self defense with this gun would the existence of the threaded barrel be an extra liability to me in court?

Would like to hear your opinions on this...
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldnt't think so.  This has no affect on the reason or the outcome of the situation, just another option on the weapon.  But don't take my word for it, I am not a LEO or an attorney.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:30:24 PM EDT
[#2]
A good lawyer would definetely try to use the idea of someone 'wanting to use a silencer' (enter Hollywood images of bad guys in the jury's heads), obviously just waiting to shoot people.

Your good lawyer would point out you followed all the rules regarding the suppressor which was for reasons other than concealed carry for self defense, and that at the time of shooting you had the thread protector on the bbl, not the suppressor; so the gun was just like any other licensed CCW.

[Edit to add that this is just what popped into my head as the likely arguments, so there's my disclaimer]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Most wouldn't notice with the thread protector.
Not sure what gun you intend to do this with, but how about a spare barrel? One for fun, one for carry? On most guns, an extended barrel is required anyways. It would help if you mentioned what kind of gun this is.
-Steve
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:01:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Most wouldn't notice with the thread protector.
Not sure what gun you intend to do this with, but how about a spare barrel? One for fun, one for carry? On most guns, an extended barrel is required anyways. It would help if you mentioned what kind of gun this is.
-Steve

Steve, it's a Makarov.  Not a drop in barrel so can't just swap them back and forth.  To be honest I only plan on ever carrying it when I can't comfortably conceal my 1911.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a threaded KKM bbl on my carry G19 (for use with a can).  The thread protector is an obvious deal (threaded blued steel on a stainless bbl).  You could get a TP that better matches the barrel, or you could buy a compensator for it and say you also use the gun for bullseye.  The only real downside to a threaded bbl is that they're usually aftermarket match bbls, and that means tighter tolerances.  My factory G19 bbl will eat anything.  The KKM will bind up on some ammo, particularly steel-cased russian stuff.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The only real downside to a threaded bbl is that they're usually aftermarket match bbls, and that means tighter tolerances.  My factory G19 bbl will eat anything.  The KKM will bind up on some ammo, particularly steel-cased russian stuff.

That's a good point.  Perhaps it would be best to just buy another makarov and use the barrel with it instead.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The only real downside to a threaded bbl is that they're usually aftermarket match bbls, and that means tighter tolerances.  My factory G19 bbl will eat anything.  The KKM will bind up on some ammo, particularly steel-cased russian stuff.

That's a good point.  Perhaps it would be best to just buy another makarov and use the barrel with it instead.

You can always ask the manufacturer whether the chamber is tight.  Get the barrel, give it your worst with ammo, see whether it complains.  My KKM is great with good quality ammo; it just means that you can't pick up 15 year old rusted Wolf 9mm from the gutter and use it in a pinch.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top