Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 11:00:15 PM EDT
i was thinking about getting one i just wanted to know you thoughts on them
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh boy....You opened a can of worms now!
Seriously, I love mine. It is a very accurate pistol with low recoil and a high mag capacity. You would be among a relatively small group of owners, as the pistol has not yet gained mainstream acceptance. The Five Seven is damn fun to shoot also. The ammo has been a little tough to get, but lately things are getting better. The Five Seven has been one of my best purchases in a long time, and there are many new firearms coming soon that are chambered in 5.7x28mm. The PS90 has recently hit the market, as the first civilian rifle chambered for this round. And yes, I CCW my Five Seven with no worries as to it's effectiveness. Check out this link:

www.fivesevenforum.com
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:38:50 AM EDT
[#2]
What fst96ss said.  I have had my Five-seveN for about a year now and love it for all the same reasons.  Ammo prices are coming down as I just purchased a bunch of SS197 for target use from Wholesale Hunter for $17.00 per box of 50 rounds.  Fiocchi is starting to make ammo here in the US and Wolf said they will have some ammo on the market by the third quarter of this year.  I purchased a bunch of SS192 that I use for CCW when I first got my 5.7 and I paid $17.00 per box.  Since you can't get the SS192 any more I am saving it but you can get the SS195 which is the same except with lead free primers.  That can be had for $19.00 per box in some places.

Get one, you will not be dissappointed.
MadDog
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:30:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had one since the beginning of the month.  It is a fun, low-recoiling, extremely accurate handgun.  As the other users commented, the ammo is pretty expensive right now but the situation is improving as more people are getting into them.  Overall, I've been pretty pleased with buying it, I have no regrets.

I'm probably going to jump on a waiting list for the PS90 too.  I was initially not so hot about the 5.7 round; as I've learned more about it and its specific niche, I've gained a great deal of respect for it.  If nothing else, FNH has brought something new to the market that isn't a 1911 or AR-15, and I think they need to be rewarded for that.

The fivensevenforum is a great place to find more info about the 5.7x28 platform out in the world.  Stop by and say hello!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I know a few guys that have them and they seem to like them quite a bit. My personal opinion is that they are a specialty pistol good for specific purpose but not a good choice in an all round handgun.
They seem neat enough and that is plenty of reason to get one but for me they just don't turn me on.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#5]
me personaly i dont like the look of the gun itself (mainly the muzzle area) but i was thinking about mounting a surefire. i think that would look cool has anyone done that?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#6]
If I ever got shot with one and I found out, I'd be PISSED
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Not knocking the gun, but I can think of better ways to spend the $$$ the gun & ammo costs, IMO.

In ten years, the gun & ammo may no longer be around. What do you do with an $900 gun then?????????????????????????????
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally I almost bought the 5.7 last week and I'll tell you why I didn't buy it.  Note this is just how I feel about the weapon.  The 5.7 is basically a combat pistol. I couldn't personally justify 800 bucks for a pistol that wasnt target quality.  Im not saying that it isnt acccurate its just not for me.  I can get almost the same performance out of a 22 mag. Civilian ammo for the 5.7 has been powered down to make it leagl for civilians to own unless you are LEO/military/ or a reloader you're not going to get the ammo that can pierce soft armor.  My state isn't as bad as California but NJ is pretty strict on gun ownership and at any time can and most likely will ban the 5.7 from my state leaving me with the problem of trying to sell it at a loss or having it confiscated.  Note it is LEGAL for me to have one now but I dont think that will be the case for much longer.  For these reasons I didn't buy the 5.7.  Now if I was in a free state all the other crap I spewed would be out the window and I'd snag one up ASAP.  Instead I bought an XD-40 V-10 for less then 450 bucks and spent an extra 100 on ammo.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I've played with two or three. I think they're pretty badass. 20 rounds, the mags load like rifle mags, and it's design is kickass. I mean.. using the barrel as a recoil spring guide, fucking kickass. I can't speak for the rounds, as I haven't read enough or fired enough to say my opinion counts. I'll state again though, where it does.. the design is kickass.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Not knocking the gun, but I can think of better ways to spend the $$$ the gun & ammo costs, IMO.

In ten years, the gun & ammo may no longer be around. What do you do with an $900 gun then?????????????????????????????

Listen to this guy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#11]
MrMurphy,

Just an FYI.  The higher powered hollow point 5.7 ammo is still available but has been renamed to keep the anti's off our backs.  It is now called SS195 instead of SS192 and can be had for the same price.  I clocked it at 2,100 fps out of my Five-seveN at the muzzle.  I just paid $17.00 per box of 50 rounds and the cost is constantly going down.  I really doubt the five-seveN will be banned, but if it does in some states you will most likely be grandfathered in.  Just like in CA with the AR's, if you had them before the ban you were ok.  I was lucky enough to buy a Colt AR two years before the CA ban, but I am now living in Georgia so it doesn't make a difference to me.  And just so you know, the 5.7 was approved about five months ago by the California DOJ and is on their list of acceptable handguns for ownership.

MadDog
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I mean.. using the barrel as a recoil spring guide, fucking kickass.

Have you ever seen a blowback pistol? That's not exactly a new idea.

Anyway, IMO the 5-7 is the coolest .22 mag pistol money can buy. When I finally get a PS90, I'll get a 5-7 too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Aren't 200 dollar bersa thunders blow back pistols?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#14]
so what you guy are basicly saying is that the only good thing about the 5-7 round was its armor peircing capability but since that ammo it is only available for leo/mil.  and the civilian ammo gives you roughy the same performance of a .22mag?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#15]
.22 Mag can do 40 grains at 2000 fps, but out of a rifle barrel -- about 1550 fps for pistol.  It was hoped that SS197 would do the same out of the 5-7 pistol barrel, but those hopes fell short, as the SS197 turned out to push 40 grains at only around 1700 fps.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:32:47 AM EDT
[#16]
The jury is still out on the 5-7.  It seems to function well enough, but long term reliability/durability have yet to be established.

The big wildcard of course is the 5.7x28mm ammunition.  It's designed for penetration, which is good, but it's a small bullet, which can be bad.  I would say we will have to wait for some statistical and anecdotal evidence from real world shootings to know much about the effectiveness of the round.  Much like 5.56x45mm and other small rounds, I suspect the critical component of effectiveness will be bullet design.

I tend to thing with a well designed bullet fragmenting or JHP bullet, the 5-7 will be at least as effective as a 9mm, and with the high velocity should achieve much more reliable expansion in JHPs.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top