Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2002 3:14:29 PM EDT
I was thinking about getting one of these in either 44mag or 50ae. You guys who own or have owned them what do you think? Other than expesive ammo
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:30:53 AM EDT
[#1]
If your looking to spend some cash and have a
"BIG GUN" then its just right.  If your looking to carry a gun for more than a hour at a time, I would keep looking.....  at almost 5lbs empty it gets real heavy real quick!
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Saw one at the last Fun Show I went to.  Unbelievably heavy, bulky, and uncomfortable, at least to me.  Still, I'd like to shoot one just so I can say I did.  As for buying one, however, I think the $1200 can be better spent elsewhere.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 3:48:52 AM EDT
[#5]
They're neat.  Most of what you pay for is novelty, so don't be suprised if, once you plop down the $1200, you go home and look at it and say, "well... that's it?!?"

I suggest you get a .44MAG. Reasons in a similar topic on the AR15 Gen Firaarms board.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I have shot the 50ae but not the 44mag. I saw a 44mag DE once and that was years ago.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:22:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't rule out the .440 Cor-Bon.  From the Magnum Research site:

The Ultimate Hunting Machine! The new .440 Cor-Bon Magnum puts the pow(d)er of the .50 A.E. behind a nimble .44 Magnum bullet.

I'd get that or the 50AE.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:28:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a DE XIX (50). First thing I did was rip that hard black plastic grip off it and replace it with a Hogue grip. You'll be gripping tight, and it helps to have the softer, more comfortable grip. It's alot of fun to shoot.

I also special ordered the 44 mag barrel and magazine. The .50AE cartidge base is the same size as .44MAG, so you just swap the barrel and magazine and your good to go. If you get the .357 barrel, it's more expensive and not easy to swap at the range, as you have to change the 'bolt carrier' or whatever. What that boils down to is a spring that shoots 10 yards away and turns into the color of whatever dirt it lays upon.

Getting the .44 barrel allows more shooting at reduced cost. I haven't tried 44 special yet. I don't know if it is powerful enough to cycle the action (seriously).

If you get the older, used model Desert Eagle, you can't swap the barrel if I remember right. If you get one, best to get the Model 19 (XIX, whatever). I love mine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#9]
A friend of mine purchased a .50 last august.  It has the 10 inch barrel.  Its a BIG gun, but he loves it.  I think there are only 2 manufacturers for the ammo though.  He has been thinking about going to a 6 or 8 inch barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top