Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2005 1:45:06 PM EDT
i saw the thread about these being available again after jan. 1st  to california residents once again and am thinking about getting one . i  cant find any online dealers for these are there any out there? is the pistol and rifle the same frame? what would be a good price for one? tia
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Be prepared to be amazed at the huge drop in resale value on TC's, if you can sell it at all. While they are quality, one really has to want one to buy one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont know about any of the new contenders, I am a TC Encore person myself.

BobCole is right though, resale value sucks, but they very high quality.

I have two Encore frames myself, and six barrels.  Never had a chance to handle a new contender, used to own an older one in .223 though.  Got rid of it when I got the Encores.

I paid about $600 total for my encores, complete with a barrel for each, and about $200 for each additional barrel.  I dont know what the prices are like now, I have had mine for a couple of years.  So far, I have barrels for .450 Marlin, .30-06, .22-250, .22 Hornet, .243 Win, and .308

If I remember right, the Contender accessories are a bit cheaper, but I am not quite sure, havent looked at anything for them for quite a while.  The Encore is designed to take higher pressures, which is why you see it chambered in more of the heavy rifle cartridges.

Here is one of my encores, in .450 Marlin, compared to my new .460XVR

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:40:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I had the Encore muzzleloader, and it was positively the worst weapon I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#4]
The Contenders are very accurate as a hunting or target handgun. As far as re-sale value, you don't get all your money back on any used handgun.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I love mine.  It was given to me by my wife's grandfather.  Its a .223 but I stick 5.56 in that dirty, filthy pig and it shoots fine.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The Contenders are very accurate as a hunting or target handgun.

True. No one questions their quality.

As far as re-sale value, you don't get all your money back on any used handgun.

Rarely, but the T/C takes much more of a beating than the usual 25% due to the very slow demand for them. I've seen them sit on the used shelf at gun shops for almost a year.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Contenders are very accurate as a hunting or target handgun.

True. No one questions their quality.

As far as re-sale value, you don't get all your money back on any used handgun.

Rarely, but the T/C takes much more of a beating than the usual 25% due to the very slow demand for them. I've seen them sit on the used shelf at gun shops for almost a year.

Yup - I watched a used Encore pistol in 7mm-08 sit on the shelf in Gander Mountain for quite a while.  Even here in NY where they are hard to get because TC won't comply with NY's stupid ballistic fingerprint law for all new handguns.  I finally succumbed to her siren call and took her home for $350.  Mounted a scope on her, loaded up some 140gr. Nosler ballistic tips and took her to the range.  Now three barrels later - I am totally hooked.  These guns can shoot!

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, crap....I guess I'll lower the price on the Contender I have for sale in the EE.

I love T/C's by the way.  I have an Encore w/ 3 barrels, including the muzzleloader barrel, which is the BEST muzzleloader I've ever shot!  I wish I wasn't selling my contender, but the wife is expecting, and I have to thin the herd.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well, crap....I guess I'll lower the price on the Contender I have for sale in the EE.

Let it ride for a bit first, you never know?
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 3:34:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I love T/C's by the way.  I have an Encore w/ 3 barrels, including the muzzleloader barrel, which is the BEST muzzleloader I've ever shot!  I wish I wasn't selling my contender, but the wife is expecting, and I have to thin the herd.

how much you want for it and what other barrels do you have? i tried to search for your thread but couldnt find it
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 5:58:08 AM EDT
[#11]
My Encore 50cal BP is so awesome I sold my 308 barrel on ebay for a proffit because I didn't need or use it.  

The frames are the same for pistols and carbines but if you want to use it both configurations it must be purchased/registered as a hand gun to be legal as a hand gun.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I just bought a T/C Contender G2 carbine to match my pistol caliber, haven't had time to even break in the barrel yet, but no doubt it will be a shooter.
I had thoughts about getting a Encore instead, but already have a Savage Striker in 308, so went with the same caliber as my T/C hunting pistol.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I like my contender a lot. I have barrels in 357,223, and 45-70. Even with the compensator the 45-70 has quite a kick, but it sure is fun when I just feel like shaking the mountain.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:06:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I have one and love it. The interchangable barrels is a big plus. The trigger is easy to work over, mine breaks at just over 2lbs. The downside is obvious, it's a single shot and there isn't a huge market for this type of weapon. For hunting, it's great. For just plinking, ditto. I like mine, but would go out looking for one unless I had a serious reason for it. At the time, I was shooting IHMSA and the TC was one of the best platforms.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Can anyone help THIS GUY out?

I can guess on the Contender, but when you start adding all that glass, it gets konfuzering...  

thats the situation im in, i have an idea what the gun is worth with the 2 barrels, but with the glass i have no clue. i dont even know what they  retail for they were purchased by my dad before i took ownership.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#17]
My PA deer gun in a super 14 contender in .44 mag.  It shoots flat out to 100 yds.  It absolutely wollups deer.  But, that freaking tang busts my knuckles wide open every time I shoot it if I don't use gloves.  Also, it recoiles like a bitch, much more than a S&W 629.  You wouldn't think it should, but it does.  Very accurate though.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

but with the glass i have no clue.

What kind of glass do you have???????
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#19]
cut and paste from my other post:
tri ring mounted simmons WTC 9 illuminated 3x28 pistol scope
burris 7x variable power pistol scope

thats about the best description i could give, couldnt find too much info on either other than what they have printed on them.

ETA: pictures HERE
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:43:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Hi guys, my first post...

I have 2 contenders, barrels in  .357 max, 22 hornet, 223 rem and 30-30, also an Encore rifle in .308.

The new G2 contenders have the same trigger system as the Encore, witch tend to be on the heavy side for me. With Mike Bellm's springs and tuning options it can be quite okay (mine now at 830 grams and pretty decent brak), but the original Contender frames can be set almost as low as you want just by cuting one easily accessible spring. The frame I use for silouette are set at 350g - and they feel like breaking a glass rod.

Great guns, and second hand value are not a consideration - you'l never want to sell it
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
My PA deer gun in a super 14 contender in .44 mag.  It shoots flat out to 100 yds.  It absolutely wollups deer.  But, that freaking tang busts my knuckles wide open every time I shoot it if I don't use gloves.  Also, it recoiles like a bitch, much more than a S&W 629.  You wouldn't think it should, but it does.  Very accurate though.  

I had my 44 mag barrel magnaported and now it's a pussycat.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:41:00 AM EDT
[#22]
I own a Contender with a .357 Magnum 10" barrel that has the Hotshot choke tube (allows CCI shotshell shooting) and a 14" .41 mag barrel.  The .357 has irons still on it and the .41 has a Simmons 2x20 pistol scope.  Have never had the oppurtunitly to hunt deer with either one yet, one day prehaps.

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top