Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2009 7:14:29 PM EDT
I have a model 85 [38 special +p] 2inch coming to my FFL right now and im just looking for feedback on it from you fine folks.

I have a taurus model 65 with 4 inch barrel for my woods gun and home defence revolver from time to time but because of its size I decided to get this model 85 and use it for my house gun and future carry gun and keep the 65 for the big game such as bear when out in the bush and targets =]

just LMK what you guys think...all info welcome and much appreciated

Dan

and please..i have been a happy owner of MANY taurus firearms so im not looking for any hear say taurus bashing..only fist hand acounts.

thanks
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Taurus 85 is fine. My wife has carried one forever.

Main problem with the Taurus is the same as with the Smith, the cylinder pin can rotate loose and bind up the mechanism.  I always take it out and locktite it in place.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Taurus 85 is fine. My wife has carried one forever.

Main problem with the Taurus is the same as with the Smith, the cylinder pin can rotate loose and bind up the mechanism.  I always take it out and locktite it in place.

I had one years ago, always worked, shot well. Eventually replaced it with a Smith 642. Mine had the steel frame and weighed a lot, but that also cut down on recoil.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#3]
i've shot a few.

no problems at all.

nice little revolvers.

clown
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#4]
My first hand Taurus accounts...

I owned a PT92 that didn't work right.

And I handled an 85 whose barrel decided to fall off.

I handled it myself, in amazement.

No bashing, just fact.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#5]
barrel fell of huh ? was it blown off? of just fall of in your hand while you were cleaning it ?

Link Posted: 2/11/2009 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
barrel fell of huh ? was it blown off? of just fall of in your hand while you were cleaning it ?

Customer brought it in. He said it fell off while shooting. No explosion, just all of a sudden his front sight wasn't there any more. Nor was the rest of the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#7]
lol never good when your front siht goess missing

Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got the ultralight 85.  Good gun.  Do yourself a favor and buy a set of Wolff springs for it.  Cheap, Easy install, and makes for a pretty good trigger.  Another recommendation is the FIST #3 in ultrathin kydex for a hot summer day carry combo.  I also put Badger grips (rosewood) on the gun.  Smaller than factory, and shirts won't hang up on the smooth wood grip like a rubber grip, although the factory grip is not really bad (Hogues, and Pachmyers are terrible at grabbing shirts)
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I remember when the 85 first came out. I used to get an independent gun test magazine. It was rated the highest of the .38 snubbs and was the only one rated for +P. I bought one and wish I still had it. If it's like the originals, it's a fine .38.
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a M85s. I would trust it to fire about 3 cylinders "15 rounds" before the cylinder retaining screw would loosen up and the cylinder would fall out the next time I opened it. The cylinder ejector pin would also loosen up with the result that the cylinder would lock up and not open, I also had 2 other Taurus revolvers as well they both had the problem with the ejector rod loosening up and locking up the cylinder. The one a 44 snubby had a cylinder that was slightly out of alignment with the barrel and would misfire half the time and spit lead all the time. A 6 inch .357 I had only had the ejector rod problem but was not particularly accurate, so I got rid of that too. In a conversation I had with a local gunshop owner he expressed the opinion that the only thing worse that a Taurus revolver is a Taurus automatic! I'm not going to waste another dime on Taurus's to find out if their auto's are as bad!
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Taurus 85 Total Titanium that I picked up used for $230. I love it. The only downside is that recoil can be  . . . Brisk, particularly when shooting +P ammo.  Never had any reliability issues with it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 10:24:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had a M85s. I would trust it to fire about 3 cylinders "15 rounds" before the cylinder retaining screw would loosen up and the cylinder would fall out the next time I opened it. The cylinder ejector pin would also loosen up with the result that the cylinder would lock up and not open, !

I've had Smith and Wessons do the same thing.  As I said above: loc-tite.

Link Posted: 2/14/2009 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a M85s. I would trust it to fire about 3 cylinders "15 rounds" before the cylinder retaining screw would loosen up and the cylinder would fall out the next time I opened it. The cylinder ejector pin would also loosen up with the result that the cylinder would lock up and not open, !

I've had Smith and Wessons do the same thing.  As I said above: loc-tite.

I've heard others make similar comments about S&W's so it must be true. Today I only carry Ruger's or a Colt and they have never failed to function after several thousands of rounds each so I trust my life to them. Anything else is a lesser quality weapon in my opinion, for what its worth!
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the 85 ultralight in stainless, and It's my goto ccw.  

I've shot maybe 150 rounds out of it and I don't have any complaints.

It's not as nice as a S&W, but it's more affordable and it always does what it's made to do.

Your new 85 will be fine.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#15]
thanks for the replies everyone...I understand with any maker there will be problems and i have owned both S&W and taurus..i still own a taurus 65 in 357 and it has been a very good gun so far with zero problems..just hoping ths new 85 will be like its big brother and give me no problems

here are some photo's of the revolver.

the only problem i have had with taurus firearms is the finish not holding up...im hoping they have fixed that issue
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top