Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 9:36:02 PM EDT
I have a glock 34 and am nearing the 1400 round mark.  From day 1, the slide has only locked back half the time after the last round was fired.  No I have not thoroughly cleaned the gun, but I did lube it after about 700 rounds.  It was doing this from the first mag full anyway.  Will a complete cleaning fix it or should I check something specific out.  All magazines are brand new.  THe gun was produced in February 06.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:09:47 AM EDT
[#1]
A lack of lubrication will definitely contribute to this problem so will a dirty pistol and dirty magazines.

I would break it down and give it a good cleaning and lube using CLP following the manuals instructions on where and how to lube a Glock. Clean the mags as well but don't lube them.

Other possible causes could be that you are limp wristing it, have a poor hand position on the weapon or are using cheap, underpowered ammo.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:21:24 AM EDT
[#2]
A dirty gun shouldn't cause this unless your pistol is severely neglected.  I'm leaning to the limp wrist or shitty ammo as the cause.

I'm assuming this happens with several different mags?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#3]
high thumbs?

thats my problem--old high 1911 style thumbs laying on the slide release causing my slide to fall and not lock back on last rnd
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
high thumbs?

thats my problem--old high 1911 style thumbs laying on the slide release causing my slide to fall and not lock back on last rnd

OH CRAP THAT WAS IT.  I cant believe I was doing something so stupid and obvious, but I sure was gripping it like a 1911 with an extended safety.  Thanks for the good catch and not screaming limp wristing like most people do.

the 34 is the first glock Ive owned with the extended slide release so thats why I have never had that problem before.  I still dont see the purpose of the extended slide release.  I need to swap it out but only have till next week before I go to a course.   Can I change out for the one in my Glock 21 or 33?  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:19:22 AM EDT
[#5]

That pesky extended slide stop will get you if your not used to them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:28:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
high thumbs?

OH CRAP THAT WAS IT.  I cant believe I was doing something so stupid and obvious, but I sure was gripping it like a 1911 with an extended safety.  Thanks for the good catch and not screaming limp wristing like most people do.

the 34 is the first glock Ive owned with the extended slide release so thats why I have never had that problem before.  I still dont see the purpose of the extended slide release.  I need to swap it out but only have till next week before I go to a course.   Can I change out for the one in my Glock 21 or 33?  

now my problem is how to fix it--i always ride my grip high on ALL pistols
oh well....

no idea on swiching the slide releases....

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
high thumbs?

now my problem is how to fix it--i always ride my grip high on ALL pistols
oh well....

no idea on swiching the slide releases....

Simply modify your grip slightly. I have been taught to place my strong hand thumb right on top of support hand thumb using the "Thumbs Forward" technique. This keeps it off the slide and way from the slide stop. Your really only moving your thumb just a hair. I actually install factory extended slide stops/releases on all my Glocks, but that’s a very personal decision. I have been trained to drop the slide using the slide release during reloads, so I train that way and set up my pistols accordingly.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I use thumbs forward, but just a lil high.  My right thumb was just resting right on the slide release.  I gotta get to the range now and find a way to quit this.  That or get a dremel out and solve it the dirty way
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A dirty gun shouldn't cause this unless your pistol is severely neglected.  I'm leaning to the limp wrist or shitty ammo as the cause.

+1
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Ummm...the cause has been found.  I was riding my thumb on the slide release since the 34 comes factory with the extended slide release.  And this had happened with about a dozen different mags and using both WWB and Wolf 9mm (yes I know both are kinda crappy).  The fault was all operator

And no I was not limp wristing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top