Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2003 9:30:15 PM EDT
im new to the board.....the vast amt. of knowledge just blows me away.  but heres my question.....ive been to the local range a couple times with a friend and have got to shoot an IDPA local match a couple times.  Its awesome and i would like to get started.  My dad is a trooper and carries a Sig 220 and thats what i shot.  its an awesome gun but i dont here anything about it in IDPA...ive heard some good things about the XD40.  i know ur going to say a Glock but i want to be different. thanks
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#1]
If you eliminating the glock and your interested in shooting IDPA then I would say a XD 9, or CZ 75b in 9mm. There is no advantage of shooting .40 in idpa because there is no power factor like USPSA/IPSC. The 9mm is cheap and you can afford to shoot more.

There is no advantage of shooting a sig 220 in IDPA in CDP, plus .45 ammo is expensive.

Besides fun your either going to shoot IDPA with a carry or defense gun, or the most advantageous competition gun for the division guideline.

Though your not considering it the Glock 34 is the best gun for IDPA. Really though for IDPA you can use just about any gun and be competitive. USPSA/IPSC is less so, but USPSA/IPSC is way more fun.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 10:28:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah you could play w/ the 9mm for shooting paper.  If your looking for CCW that is freaking durable as hell.....SIG P220 .45

My dad used it as his carry weapon w/ HPD.  In water, in dirt, grease, mud, and everything inbetween, it still shot!

nothing aganst 9mm's.  i have one of those too.  but when i am 21, my CCW will be the SIG P220 .45
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 3:16:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I love Sig, but they are expensive. I love my XD also. It has been the best purchase in a long time.  

That being said, if you have the money, they do make the 220 in 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 3:41:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Fondle as many different guns as you can. Get the own that points best for you. 9mm is a great place to start simply because lower cost ammo can translate into more time practicing.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:30:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd have to recommend against the P220 for competition.  It has a high bore axis, which means more muzzle flip.  The DA trigger is also something that can be hard to get used to, especially on many SIGs where the DA pull seems God-awful heavy.  Then you're limited to single-stack magazines.  

It's an awesome service gun, but it's difficult to be competitive with it when everyone else is shooting low-recoiling 9mm's.

I shoot a couple of XD's myself, in .40.  I load them light for IDPA, put in a lighter recoil spring and they shoot like a 9mm.  If you want to be different, the XD's are a good choice, as is the CZ-75.

If you can stand the Glocks they would be a good choice.  Their low bore axis, high capacity mags and consistent trigger are the selling points.  I just hate the position I have to contort my hand into to keep from rubbing something raw or getting pinched.  I have a couple of Glocks for range use but I'd hate to shoot them as much as I do my XD's. But if you don't have a problem with them, you'll probably do well with one.  The top IDPA shooters in my area generally use the 1911, FWIW.

Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:21:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I shoot a p220 in IPSC and IDPA.

I can count the times I have seen another P220 at a match on one hand.

I do OK with mine I place 2nd or 3rd in my class (10 to 20 shooters) alot at our club matches. 30 to 60 people in the match total.

I have been using it for years. It my carry gun thats why I use it.

If you want to win, it is possible but you will have to be ALOT better than the guy with a glock.

I love the gun and still cant recommend it for IDPA OR IPSC. Cost, limited mags (8 rd is max), DA VS SA.

Go plastic
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks...anymore comments?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top