Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 5:26:23 PM EDT
hey guys what kind of hadgun would u guys recomend for a first time user. I am leading toward a .45, but i am not sure how bad the recoil would be. I would need a gun with a low recoil. I was looking at the usp since a buddy told me they had like no recoil at all, but they way to much money What else could i look into?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Glock 9mm like 19 or 17.  Low recoil and no brainer on how to use or disassemble.  Point and bang.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Pick a common caliber: 9mm, .40, or .45. While I personally like .40, a 9mm is most definitely easier to handle (helps prevent flinching).

Big a model from the big 3: Sig, H&K, Glock. Possibly an XD from SA. They all feel different.

I would also recommend getting a cheaper .22LR pistol as well. Think of it as a trainer that's cheap to shoot. You can pick up a Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mark II for all of $250-$300 new...better used.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#3]
recoil w/ the .45acp is nothing (more of a hard push)

if you are a first time HG user, i too would start off w/ a .22lr for plinking/learning

if it had to be one off the bat, +1 for a G19/17
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Go rent a few guns and see what you like, if possible.  Everybody's hands are different.

Glocks are a favorite amongst many folks.  I own a couple USPs and do recommend them if you can scrape the funds together.

BE SAFE.  Get some training if you're new to firearms.  In particular, there are some mistakes that folks new to autoloaders seem to have a tendency to make, like racking the slide before removing the magazine when "clearing" their gun.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#5]
two others to throw into the mix--ruger p95 and cz75.  

and if you have someone to teach you how to shoot you can start with a 9mm instead of a .22lr.  also the ammo is a lot cheaper than .40sw or .45acp.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:49:37 PM EDT
[#6]
CZ because there is less chance of blowing your balls or brains compared to glock. And CZ's are a kick ass gun to boot.

My first gun is a ruger P95 which helped be work up to glock which isnt forgiving of stupidity
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:31:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
CZ because there is less chance of blowing your balls or brains compared to glock. And CZ's are a kick ass gun to boot.

My first gun is a ruger P95 which helped be work up to glock which isnt forgiving of stupidity

my first was also a p95.  i think probably the most confusing and dangerous thing with a glock is that prior to disassembly the trigger must be pulled.  and if a person is not too careful to ensure that it is unloaded then they will have an extra hole somewhere they likely don't want one.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:48:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Do what I did.  I was in a similar situation two years ago.

Already shot a .22lr revolver and 38 special revolver but I wanted an auto.  Funds were limited not only on the gun I wanted to buy but my ammo choice as well.  I bought a CZ75 new (I could have gone used which is still a good way to go with msot guns) in 9mm and have never looked back.  Today I pick up my .45 auto.  I don't think I could have done things in reverse.  The 9mm was easy to learn on but certainly nothing I want to stop shooting any time soon.

You can get a Glock 17 or CZ 75B used but in perfect condition for around 300 bucks.  All Glocks have an unlimited lifetime warranty, CZ is usually very flexible as well.  

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:25:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

my first was also a p95.  i think probably the most confusing and dangerous thing with a glock is that prior to disassembly the trigger must be pulled.  and if a person is not too careful to ensure that it is unloaded then they will have an extra hole somewhere they likely don't want one.  

My first was a P97.  The trigger on the Rugers sucks, but they are built like tanks, go bang (not kaboom) everytime, and are inexpensive.  I would suggest getting something low cost like that, and then save for something a little nicer that you may want down the road.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Glock 19
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks for the heads up guys. Yea i thought about glock but what about glocks unsuported chambers and their kb problems. Also this friend of mine thast a cop told me that they dont even allow them in their department casue of the problems they have and becasue they are not the most acurate guns around.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
thanks for the heads up guys. Yea i thought about glock but what about glocks unsuported chambers and their kb problems. Also this friend of mine thast a cop told me that they dont even allow them in their department casue of the problems they have and becasue they are not the most acurate guns around.

Be sure to form your own opinions.  Like I said, rent guns if you can.

You can find some cop, gunsmith, or hobbyist to say something bad about EVERY gun in existence.  Glocks are great guns and as long as you aren't being stupid (reloading .40), your chances of one blowing up really aren't any greater than with any other gun.

That said, I prefer H/K.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#13]
recoil wise i would stay away from .40, IMO its worse than both 9mm and 45acp. im a 45 man. I would suggest these guns in this order:

SIG P220 Stainless(one of the best damn 45s out there)
Springfield 1911 - loaded, TRP, Professional
Kimber 1911 - warrior, tactical
Colt 1911 - Trophy(dont have experience with any other model)

if you are looking for a tupperwear gun i would go with Springfield Armory's XD45ACP or XD9. i have the 4in model of both, they are 100% reliable, point better than glock, and are just as easy to break down.

IMO the XD is a better gun than the Glock, there are NO reasons glocks are better than XDs except for the finish. But the new XDs are fixing the finish, have much more reliable mags, etc...

If you decide to go with 9mm my suggestion would be as follows:

Browning High Power
SIG 226 Stainless
XD9

Weight is how i would combat recoil - the heavier the gun the better it behaves. unless you plan to use it as a CCW.

mind you all these suggestions are what I would buy, its just my opinion.

good luck and let us know what you end up with!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Some get the noob a Glock 19!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#15]
If there was one gun that was obviously better than all other guns, everybody would buy it and the rest of the manufacturers would be out of business.

Don't listen to these asshats, go rent a couple of guns and see what you like.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#16]
yea i think i am going to hit the range one of this weekends and try some out. So far i am leading towards ruger, glock, or maibe beratta. Sigs would be nice but kinda price i was looking more for a starters gun, some thing thats not alot of money but not total crap either. Ok here is the story i was actually looking for an ar but have since decided to wait on that till funds are more readily available. So  there really is no point on getting lets say a $700 when for $100 more i could get my self an ar wich is what i really want. So thats why i am not looking to get and h&k or one of those expensive guns. Basically i want an affordable gun that would make a good starter, not a total piece of crap but something that shoots straight is reliable and economic. Thats why i am prety much set on a 9mm, now i just got to decide between glock ruger or beretta, I am not sure how much berettas are but the other 2 choises are in the planed budget. SO share ur feelings about lets say a glock 19, or whatever ruger or beretta any of u guys have shoot.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#17]
i dont know what other people will say - but i wouldnt go with Ruger - i only know a few people who owned them and they didnt like em.

the beretta will shoot the best, IMO, out of what you said. but the beretta will be the highest price tag out of the three two. So out of your choices i would go with the G19. but shoot an XD9 too, its the same size as the 19 and i think in general they are nicer to shoot than the glock.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i dont know what other people will say - but i wouldnt go with Ruger - i only know a few people who owned them and they didnt like em.

the beretta will shoot the best, IMO, out of what you said. but the beretta will be the highest price tag out of the three two. So out of your choices i would go with the G19. but shoot an XD9 too, its the same size as the 19 and i think in general they are nicer to shoot than the glock.

xd9 u say hmm thanks i'll look it up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#19]
hey guys quick question how much is it on average to go to a range and rent a gun? Do u have to pay t oshott plus rent the gun, or just rent the gun how does it work?  sorry total noob
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:53:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
hey guys quick question how much is it on average to go to a range and rent a gun? Do u have to pay t oshott plus rent the gun, or just rent the gun how does it work?  sorry total noob

the range i am familiar with in my area costs $20/hr to shoot and rentals are $12/hr but i don't know if you can use multiple guns for the same $12 or not.  and if you rent guns at most ranges they will make you buy ammo there while if you had your own gun they allow outside ammo.  sometimes they say it's a liability issue but i think part of it is a way to get more cash out your pocket and into theirs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top