Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2004 3:48:07 PM EDT
I have the opportunity to take a personal wpn the next time I go.  Anyone take a 1911  clone or any other .45 they care to comment on the performance of? My prefernce would be to  take a 1911 Springfield. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember before deploying to Iraq the command said "NO PERSONAL FIREARMS OR AMMO" on three separate occasions.  Believe me, I wanted to take my Glock with me, but no means no.  I don't think any of the other services would allow you either so if you do, its all on you buddy...Besides, with a .45 your ammo resupply will be tricky.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I remember before deploying to Iraq the command said "NO PERSONAL FIREARMS OR AMMO" on three separate occasions.  Believe me, I wanted to take my Glock with me, but no means no.  I don't think any of the other services would allow you either so if you do, its all on you buddy...Besides, with a .45 your ammo resupply will be tricky.

very true.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

He didn't say he was in the military but I agree with the thought on ammo. Better to carry a 226 in 9mm IMO. From my buddies experience, don't take a Beretta.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:27:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I will be working in a different role than the masses in traditional line companies. As Lee0302 pointed out in his thread, they told me last time I went "no personal weapons" and I came across 1st Cav and other Army units with soldiers who had 1911's and such..
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:41:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Should you take a Berretta, use OEM mags, that makes them function properly, I'm told.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:46:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:35:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I will be working in a different role than the masses in traditional line companies. As Lee0302 pointed out in his thread, they told me last time I went "no personal weapons" and I came across 1st Cav and other Army units with soldiers who had 1911's and such..

You better get that your allowed to bring a weapon in writing because if your in the military your still fall under CENTCOM rule 1A, no matter what your assigned to do.  

There are still 1911s in the inventory, I know a LtCol who got one while he was on the MEF staff and it was no big deal he carried, but I also know about a handful of prosecutions for troops and officers who wanted to bring their own toys with them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I snagged a Remington Rand out of mothball for my little visit to the litter box.  Worked just fine.  I bought a few new Wilson 47d's and never had a single malfunction through several thousands of rounds.  Ammo supply was an issue for a short time, so there was not much training ammo available.  Once the supply and demand was resolved, I had more .45 ACP than I knew what to do with.  So I made sure to make several trips a week to the range and deplete the stash so I could order more.

As all before me have said, G.O. #1 still covers all personally owned firearms...........I would be for getting the authorization in writing from someone authorized in writing to authorize such a thing.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I doubt the 1st Cav guys have their pistols legally in Iraq, it is III Corps policy that no personal firearms go to Iraq, 1st Cav cannot override that.  I know for a fact it isnt part of their arms room inventory, there are no military issue .45's on Fort Hood.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought it was strange myself. As I recall, one soldier was a Capt and had a nickle plated .45 with "Ivory" grips. At first, I thought that I MEF put out bum scoop or added their own policy for those heading over. (FWIW, there were units in country that were able to get .45 easier than a "common"  link ammo at one time) No reason to be specific in a public forum.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Might have been local purchase, I saw a lot of weapons over there, but nobody that I worked with was actually allowed to use any weapons not issued.  We had a couple article 15's handed out to guys who had AK parts in their possession.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#12]
That's harsh. We had a collection of AK's, G3, and a RPK but they took them away from us. The funniest thing was some of the ammo we confiscated. We had some 7.62x39 that had primers fall out, and lead that could be pulled out by hand from the brass. (Topic gone astray, my bust)
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I saw a bunch of different confiscated weapons when I was there; a chrome 1911, Pakastani MP-5s, and the typical Russian stuff.  It wouldn't be unbelievable for someone to just grab and carry what they scrounged.  My advice, forget about the whole thing.  Just bring extra M-16 mags and buy some quality Beretta magazines and avoid article 15/court martial.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I can't find the link, but a US Army sargent was convicted of trying to smuggle illegal weapons into the USA, a MP5 and  AK47.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:44:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I can't find the link, but a US Army sargent was convicted of trying to smuggle illegal weapons into the USA, a MP5 and  AK47.

There was another one within the last few months where a LTC or full bird colonel got in trouble for trying to bring back a bunch of stuff past customs after he was told no.  Ill see if I can find that post again, it was a while ago.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:43:04 AM EDT
[#16]
If you are actually allowed to, I'd bring a 1911.  Me personally, out of the question.  Good ole M4 and 9m Baretta.  DOH!  We're allowed to add accessories to either, but thats it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#17]
It really depends on your unit.  If you do decide to bring something with you, make damn sure you have the receipt on you, otherwise you may have it confiscated on the way back (seen it happen).  As for smuggling OpFor wpns back - that will get you in a world of shit.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#18]
All I have to say to you guys serving...

THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!,THANKS!

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top