Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2002 12:38:19 PM EDT
I was shopping around for Kimbers the other day and noticed rust on the side of the hammer where they touch the slide.  This was at two different stores.  A guy I talked to has the carry model and said he hated it because it rusts a lot.  I live in Florida and he probably just sweats on it all day, but has anyone noticed that their Kimbers rust more than other guns?
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't live in Florida but haven't noticed rust on either of my Kimbers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I would say that Kimbers are a bit more rust prone due to the fact that the barrels and ignition systems are left in "the white". You can try blueing the barrel but it won't absolutely solve the problem... it will help though. As far as the hammer goes, polishing the flats can help resist rust a little bit but a nightly maintenance ritual may be the only way to go.
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Left my Kimber at work over a weekend in my locker. Left it in it's box w/ a light coat of lube.  Came in to find the entire pistol rusted.  Most was surface, but some was not.  I love my Kimber, but I was not pleased with the rust.  Seemed the finish was just not tough enough.

Anyway, that pistol is now off to the smithy for a new finish that is about as rust proof as they come.  It is a great gun, and with a little work and a new finish will be even better.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I live in the desert so rust is not a problem, I do sweat a little when carrying and have never had a problem, btw I only clean it every other month.
Tom
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I live in the panhandle and mine has been covered in surface rust on more than one occasion. The first time was 2 days after I moved here. I took it out of it's case and discovered rust all over the slide and barrel. Very disconcerting.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I is absolutely amazing to me that some peoples guns are rusting after just 2 days.  My jaw is hanging open...

I have an affinity for stainless guns maybe that is why I never see mine all rusted out.  I have a Stainless Gold Combat and a 4" Pro Tactical II (alum frame stainless slide with a black oxide coat).  I never shoot the pro tactical.  Well basically never.  I've had it for 3 months and I have put 150 rounds through it.  I have only cleaned it once just a few days ago.  So it has pretty much sat for 3 months and only been cleaned once and I've not see a lick of rust on it.  Same for my Gold Combat.  Althought the Gold Combat is stainless I carry it EVERYWHERE, EVERYDAY. I shoot it weekly and clean it about every 3 weeks.  It is very humid in Indiana and I haven't ever had problems with any gun I have owned.  Maybe I just take good care of them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top