Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/6/2005 9:56:15 AM EDT
i just picked one of these up at the kenton nationals, very well kept. 4" barrel, chromed, hogue grips. i have not shot it as of yet. i wanted to know if anyone had any thing bad to say or have had good luck with it.

thanks to all
oldsaltydog
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:04:39 AM EDT
Hmm. "Chromed" would be aftermarket, but stainless steel would be factory.

Well, I think they're a pretty darn great value for the money. Security Sixes are tough as all get-out (anyone else remember the Ruger rep dragging a Security Six around the parking lot on a chain out the back of his truck?) and pretty much don't come out of time. They have fairly tough trigger pulls, but they're workable (and Cylinder & Slide can clean them nice up for you). The gun is tough enough to be shot every day with full-bore .357 magnums (mine liked Buffalo Bores), and it'll still outlive you. They're reasonably accurate, too, and amazingly compact (more like a K-frame than an L-frame) for the level of strength they provide. Take-down is a snap, too.

One thing to watch out for is that the trigger must be allowed to return all the way forward before you pull it again - a lot of folks weaned on S&W revos manage to "lock up" their Ruger revos during fast-firing until they figure this out.

Anyway, enjoy your new gun - it's a great, solid value.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:10:28 AM EDT
One of the best-shooting revolvers I ever had come through my hands was a 6" Security Six with target grips - beautiful and accurate.

In a monumental lapse of good sense I traded it off years ago - regretted it ever since...

Congratulations!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:09:33 PM EDT
i had a security six blued 250 bucks second hand.4 inch.i liked it much better tthan my gp 100 .just a lighter ,livlier gun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:11:54 PM EDT
my my time flys ,,,,,,,,,,,,,tempis fugisive was married to a reaal hag back in april 2001.good ridance.glad she left.glad i let her.my current wife is a ream come true.all that and 13 years my junior.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:48:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Erich:
Hmm. "Chromed" would be aftermarket, but stainless steel would be factory.

Anyway, enjoy your new gun - it's a great, solid value.

then i guess it is stainless steel, now that i take a better look at it.

picked mine up for 320, was it a good deal? there were lots of other guns there but none were as well taken care of as this one. i know i know, pictures.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:55:18 PM EDT
My dad bought a 4" stainless Security Six in 1983. He only shot about a box through it when he first got it and never fired it again. More than 10 years later I got my hands on it and have shot countless rounds through it without a problem. I think you will be pleased with it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:02:25 PM EDT
My dad carried one for work, and used it in many shooting competitions. That gun has seen atleast 15,000 rounds, with most being .357 loads, and it has never had a single problem and is very accurate.

They are great guns, and so damn easy to take apart...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:52:40 AM EDT
Talk about a coincidence. A friend of mine just inherited a Ruger Police Service Six in .357mag. It has had 6 rounds fired through when bought new in the 80's (my friend was the one who shot them). Since then it has been locked up in a safe. It is pristine 100%, no dings, knicks, scratches etc... He asked if I wanted to buy it. Of course I do, but I don't want to insult him with a lowball offer. What is it worth? Any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:48:50 AM EDT
does he know guns? I personally would offer him 350, but i've seen very nice ones go for up to 375. a true friend would let it go for 350
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:56:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By oldsaltydog:
does he know guns? I personally would offer him 350, but i've seen very nice ones go for up to 375. a true friend would let it go for 350

$350 to $375? It is definately worth it though. Too bad I don't have the $$ for it. I would love to lock up another weapon in my safe. I do have an uncle that wants it though. I was thinking more in the $250 range, but it is a good friend and I wouldn't cheat him. Not worth a friendship over. Thanks OSDog.
Top Top