Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2003 10:43:38 PM EDT
A buddy of mine found an old 1911 inhis late fathers attic that had the serial # removed. Is there anyone that knows how to ressurect them? If so where can it be done?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's that old, I think numbers can be found in other places, at least to verify what they are.
Under the firing pin plate, under the slide and maybe in the grips.
You may have to look around.
I think the current thought is if the numbers are ground off, it becomes an illegal weapon.
As far as restamping them, I couldn't tell you.
Having a similar problem on a 1911, the frame cracked through the numbers, so after welding they were obliterated.
A call was made to the local BATF office and we were told not to worry about it...of course that was way pre 9-11.
They could concievably confiscate it too.
Good luck on that one.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#2]
This may sound silly and unsafe but, take to the sheriff or state police explain the weapon has been in the family for a very long time let them know you are trying to hide nothing and ask the to use some of there chemicals to bring the number back to the surface. They can do it in most cases and if you are honest with them and just let them know you want everything about the firearm to be legal they will help and in most cases be glad too. This has happened to me more than once and never a hitch.

Gary
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually wasn't it not until the early 1960's that a serial # was required on a firearm? I would not go to the PD with a weapon that has had the serial ground off though. They will likely just confiscate it. If the serial was removed before they were required I would think this wouldn't be illegal though.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Actually wasn't it not until the early 1960's that a serial # was required on a firearm?

Late sixties. The '68 GCA, to be exact.

I would not go to the PD with a weapon that has had the serial ground off though. They will likely just confiscate it.

Exactly. That was some of the most foolish advice I've yet seen.

If the serial was removed before they were required I would think this wouldn't be illegal though.

Negative. If the serial number as applied by the manufacturer has been altered or removed/obliterated, it must be reapplied. Doesn't matter when the gun was manufactured.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:47:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Jim-Dandy,

Why would you call my advice silly. I have taken 2 firearms with the numbers ground off to the state police. Neither one had been ground off by me. They ran a check on me then used some sort of acid to retrieve the #'s and the guns came back clean. Both firearms were gotten from estate auctions where you bid on a lott or series of weapons and you don't really know till you get home what you've got.

It is not as un common as you might think. Do it the honest way and worst that can happen is you lose the gun.

Gary
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Why would you call my advice silly.

Uh, because it is.

It is not as un common as you might think. Do it the honest way and worst that can happen is you lose the gun.

If you like playing with fire, then go right ahead.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This may sound silly and unsafe but, take to the sheriff or state police explain the weapon has been in the family for a very long time let them know you are trying to hide nothing and ask the to use some of there chemicals to bring the number back to the surface. They can do it in most cases and if you are honest with them and just let them know you want everything about the firearm to be legal they will help and in most cases be glad too. This has happened to me more than once and never a hitch.

Gary

This is the best advice Ive read on this subject yet. If you take it to the police and tell them the truth what is the worst that can happen? They take the pistol and dispose of it. Id say thats better then sometime down the road you for some reason get caught with it, isnt that a felony? With a firearms violation felony you lose the right to own a firearm FOREVER! And before you say if you obey the law they will never find out, well in the real world shuff happens that we have no control over, there are many ways the police could find out. Id play it safe, I like shooting my firearms!

BKVic
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#8]

If you take it to the police and tell them the truth what is the worst that can happen?

You lose your investment, have to explain yourself, open you and your collection up for further scrutiny. That's why it's a stupid idea.

Id say thats better then sometime down the road you for some reason get caught with it, isnt that a felony?

Gee, I guess you haven't thought about having a gunsmith or the manufacturer reapply the number.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Id say thats better then sometime down the road you for some reason get caught with it, isnt that a felony?

Gee, I guess you haven't thought about having a gunsmith or the manufacturer reapply the number.

whats the number???
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#10]

whats the number???

That's for you and the gunsmith to figure out.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:09:53 AM EDT
[#11]
if you dont mind the idea of looing the gun go for it.i,on the other hand, would consider that an insult.go the gun smith route.dont ever open yourself up to unwanted anything from THE MAN!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top