Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/31/2011 11:07:15 AM EDT
HOW???

tried heat, tried acetone. tried lubing..hammer and punch, not a budge..

and yes I removed the set screw first...

I want to remove the firing pin safety as it is going on a colt type frame with colt type safety lever but rather remove both, safety lever is easy,,firing pin claptrap inside the slide not so much..

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:45:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:40:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SGB:
Some Kimber rear sights can be hell to remove. I use a sight pusher.

Find a gunsmith with a rear sight drifter/pusher, most will happily do it for $25 while you sit there.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:51:47 PM EDT
Make sure that you are pushing it out in the correct direction. If not, you will have major problems when you get it out and try to put something back in. When I did mine I pulled the set screw out and it tapped out with a brass punch pretty easily. The front sight is a different story. I destroyed the same brass punch getting the front sight out. The new one doesn't budge though!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:09:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2011 1:15:23 PM EDT by smoketheresfire]
Originally Posted By artsohc:
Originally Posted By SGB:
Some Kimber rear sights can be hell to remove. I use a sight pusher.

Find a gunsmith with a rear sight drifter/pusher, most will happily do it for $25 while you sit there.

More like a 20 ton press.

Those things are seriously in there. Like some one already said, make sure you are going the right way out with it, as I'm pretty sure the cut is tapered. IIRC, and definitely check this, it goes out from left to right as you look at the gun from the back, ie the same direction as the cases eject.

Also: kroil or PB Blaster might help also.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:05:15 PM EDT
thank you all.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:55:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2011 5:57:32 PM EDT by NVGdude]
Originally Posted By kchustle:
Make sure that you are pushing it out in the correct direction. If not, you will have major problems when you get it out and try to put something back in. !

Actually you can force it out the wrong way if you are stubborn about it.

1) put slide in vise. Pad sides of slide with hardwood (oak) strips
2) use brass or steel punch and a decent sized (12-16 oz) hammer and beat the sight out. Slide goes out the Starboard side (ejection port side).
[brass punch if reusing rear sight, steel if replacing it.]
3) Tap in new rear sight from the ejection port side with brass punch.

Note, in pic slide is the wrong way, I drove mine out the wrong side (you just have to wail on it a bit harder)
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:41:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2011 8:42:17 PM EDT by Ofishl1]
I was in Robar here in Phx on friday looking at the Np3 finish they did on some 1911's and AR bolts, want it for my Kimber Pro Carry HD,....I walked in with some tritiums I had recently bought to replace the ones just like in your pic.....these guys were great, they knocked mine out and put in the new night sites in 10 mins,....sent me on my way no charge...granted I will prob have them do the NP on the gun, ...either way damn nice of em...their finishing work looks great too!
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 9:22:08 AM EDT
thank you NVGdude,,

and everyone else

soon as it warms up outside and I can stand in the shop with out my noze turning to Ice.....I will jump on it.
Top Top