Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 7:31:54 AM EDT
hello;

KNOW NOTHING about the colt 1911a1.  ran across a series 80, he thinks it's a series 80, frame.  it's a stainless frame, hammer, grip safety, trigger, mag. release as best i can tell.  

what do i need to rebuil the pistol, @ cost, & where can i find these parts?  any required gunsmith service, i. e. fitting slide to frame?  thanks for any input.

rp
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:02:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you don't have the top end for this gun.  I would lean towards used Colt parts for replacement.

Brownell's is a good starting place for most of your parts.  I would search Gunbroker and CDNN for a Colt-marked slide or top end.  You can use either a series 70 or series 80 slide as well.

The slide will likely not require too much fitting, but things could be different depending on what barrel you get.  Most used or take-off Colt barrels will probably be close to drop-in, in my experience.

With any luck the expert 1911 builders will be along soon to give you more detailed advice.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:48:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless you are getting this cheap, you'd do well to find a complete gun and go from there. Especially if you are new to the 1911. Does the frame have the FP safety lever? Sort of makes me wonder about the frame, because the frames are usually kept and  the slides replaced. If the frame is for sale I wonder if something is wrong, spec wise ot otherwise.

I don't buy "part" of a gun unless it's dirt cheap, because I am always suspicious of the reason it is sold. That goes double for the 1911. If you do buy it, I guess you should first conver the frame parts to a s-70 config, lose the lever and assoc.parts, put in a spacer and look for a good upper end. Buying parts is going to be expensive if you want good one's, regardless of maker, and you will have more into the gun by far then a good lightly used one from a reputable maker.

I bought a Colt 1991 very, VERY lightly used for $400 bucks, and a NIB Commander for $500 from Cabalas last year, so decent prices are out there if you look. Don't start out with someone's unknown possible screwup if you are new to the 1911. It will sour you forever on the 1911design for the wrong reason.

Oh, and any decent smith or gunshop owner should be able to tell in about .5 seconds if it's a series 80, if he can't tell for sure I wouldn't buy it at all as he either knows jack about the 1911 or it's been totally screwed up.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top