Posted: 12/29/2005 8:44:50 PM EDT
hello,

just getting my feet wet with a new walther p22,
I have tried
remington high velocity golden bullets,
remington thunderbolt,
and CCI minimags,

obviously the mini mags are my favorite but
all of the above cock the gun back and dont jam so they are ok.

I wanted to know if the golden dust that is on the rem. golden bullets can cause problems after using them alot ?

thanks guys,
-p22owner
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:38:34 AM EDT
any of you think that the golden dust would effect performance after a while..
even with cleaning ??
in the mag?

-p22owner
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:42:24 PM EDT
In my experience, 22 rimfires can vary gun to gun quite a lot as far as what they like. I'm talking even among the same model gun. Your best bet is to try the ammo in question in your gun and determine if it suits your needs or not through your own experience.

I haven't tried anything in my P22 that it didn't shoot satisfactorily. Even target loads that aren't suppose to cycle the slide reliably seem to work just fine in my gun [shrug].

Sorry that's prolly not the answer you're looking for, but it's the best I've got!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:57:54 AM EDT
I had no issues relating to the golden dust with my P22. They are, however, pretty crappy rounds for other reasons.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:43:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GySgtD:
I had no issues relating to the golden dust with my P22. They are, however, pretty crappy rounds for other reasons.

Why are they crappy, the other day I had to switch to those because Federal would not cycle in my P22 but the Golden bullets where? Whats wrong with them?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:22:05 PM EDT
My unscientific testing suggested that hearing a "pop" after one pull of the trigger, and a "bang" after another is probably not a good thing.

The primers seemed to be a bit on the hard side, also. After a few magazines worth of grime on the pistol, about 10% of the following rounds would not go bang.

Otherwise, no complaints.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:51:10 PM EDT
Had a box of 500 of them awhile back and upwards of 5% were duds and another 10% were WAY underpowered. Decided never to buy them again, same with their Thunderbolt. It seemed oversized, would not chamber in a single shot bolt action, FTFeed in a 10/22 25% of the time and wouldnt work at all in a ruger MKII, my MArlin eats em up though. Decided never to buy Remington .22 Long rifle again, the rest of their ammo lineup seems great though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:19:20 AM EDT
hmm....I seemed to notice that the Remington golden bullets were a little hotter than the federals, like they had a bit more kick to them, I just need to get some different kinds of ammo and test them all out.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:08:02 AM EDT

My unscientific testing suggested that hearing a "pop" after one pull of the trigger, and a "bang" after another is probably not a good thing.

The primers seemed to be a bit on the hard side, also. After a few magazines worth of grime on the pistol, about 10% of the following rounds would not go bang.

Otherwise, no complaints.

I had the same issues with Rem Golden bullets.

Federal bulk is much more accurate and feeds fine in my Beretta Bobcat. Fed bulk does jam in my 10/22 once in awhile.

IMHO the best .22lr ammo out there is the CCI Velocitor. It has yet to fail, accurate, and the fastest 40gr bullet available.

Shok
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:06:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 9:10:06 AM EDT by ChickenKiller]

Lets see......... Around $5.00/$6.00 for 550 rounds at wally world and you are saying they are crappy!!? Well, why do they cost so much though?

Serious side. I shoot a ton of .22 ammo. These rounds aren't too bad, but I am just plinking, turtle shooting, critter shooting with them. I have a ruger 22/45 pistol and a 10/22. Get some FTF every once in a while, but not much worse than the winchester/federal cheap stuff.

Shoot em if you got em boys.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:52:04 PM EDT
for cheep bulk packs I have had the best luck with rem golden bullets, a lot less duds than I have had with federal bulk packs, I have not purchased federal in several years, they may have improved their quality. This is out of a 10/22. I have shot a couple hundred with good luck through my dad's p22. There are some differences in powder charges noticed by sound, but what can you really expect for the price.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:51:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 5:52:07 AM EDT by TheWonkerer]
What is a good brand of .22 ammo? My P22 is starting to be a real pain in the ass with the federal and remington bulk packs. Like whats the best at Wal-Mart?
Top Top