Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2007 8:51:02 PM EDT
Ok so a buddy and I are having a debate on how Sig Sauer is actually pronounced...is it sig (Sour) or Sig (Sayer)?  or something else entirely?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Sour
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#2]
/\

What he said.

...and for the next question...

it is Heckler and coke (Hoch)
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#3]
There may be some regional dialects, but I generally say SIG Sauer like this: "Cig Sow-er".

As I understand German, SIG in German is pronounced like "Seeg", like "seek" with a "g" sound at the end.

As for HK, Heckler in German is still Heckler, but Koch is pronounced like "cough" without the "f" sound at the end, or "Heckler and Cou". There is no "k" sound at the end of German words. In English, "Koch" is pronounced like "coke".
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#4]
nice...
Bill
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
As for HK, Heckler in German is still Heckler, but Koch is pronounced like "cough" without the "f" sound at the end, or "Heckler and Cou". There is no "k" sound at the end of German words. In English, "Koch" is pronounced like "coke".

Wrong. The German "ch" here is a guttural sound, and is not ignored as you make it out to be (saying "cou"[sic] is leaving off the "ch" entirely). Additionally, German words can (and do) end in a "k" sound; z.B., krank u. Kleiderschrank.

People need to stop trying to approximate sounds in different languages which have no analog to one another. There is no English equivalent to the "ch" in German.

The correct way to pronounce it is "Heckler und Koch". If you can't pronounce the German, stick to "HK" or "H&K".

And anyone who speaks either English or German who honestly has problems pronouncing "Sauer" seriosuly needs to work on their speech skills. (Considering English adopted - among others - the German word "Sauerkraut", you should be able to get a reasonable pronounciation down without a problem)
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong. The German "ch" here is a guttural sound, and is not ignored as you make it out to be (saying "cou"[sic] is leaving off the "ch" entirely). Additionally, German words can (and do) end in a "k" sound; z.B., krank u. Kleiderschrank.

People need to stop trying to approximate sounds in different languages which have no analog to one another. There is no English equivalent to the "ch" in German.

The correct way to pronounce it is "Heckler und Koch". If you can't pronounce the German, stick to "HK" or "H&K".

And anyone who speaks either English or German who honestly has problems pronouncing "Sauer" seriosuly needs to work on their speech skills. (Considering English adopted - among others - the German word "Sauerkraut", you should be able to get a reasonable pronounciation down without a problem)

Exactly.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please accept my apology for butchering the German language so badly. The above rule I was trying to describe was told to me by someone who speaks fluent German. I have even heard Germans pronounce "Koch" in the manner I described.

Because I seem to have been so far off the mark, please describe for us Great Unwashed how to pronounce "Koch" in German with the proper accent and emphasis. It is not pronounced "coke" in German. If you can't do that, maybe you should work on your people skills. It would be a shame for someone with your intellect not to share your knowledge with the rest of us. Have a nice day.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top