Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 4:38:06 PM EDT
Hi, I was wondering which do you prefer regular or night sites? pros/cons,The SW 99 I am going to order may have them as a option, if so do you know what brand? and the beretta 96 brigadier inox I am ordering I may get added on if I do that what brand and are they usually on target after adding them or is it going to need to be sighted in? thanks
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I like night sights on my weapons. I've prefer Trijicon, MMC, or Truglo's new fiber optic/night sights. I've used others but those seem to be the best in my experience.  Pros are that you can see your sights at night without having to turn a light on and the cons are the cost and possibility of failure. I've had Meprolights fail. Every night sight I've had installed did not need to be zeroed.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer night sights on mine.  I like the set of Meprolights I have for my USP Tactical.  The Trijicons I have installed on my USP Compact and Glock 30 are great also.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my night sights but I cant hit squat with them I wish someone made target sights with tritium inserts
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I love my night sights but I cant hit squat with them I wish someone made target sights with tritium inserts

My meprolights that I bought for my USP 45 Tactical are adjustable target sights.  Work very good too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Something like 75% of all gun fights occur at night.

Do the math.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:01:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Do the math.

I'm no math genius, but you don't really have to be do you.
Night sights all the way, if you can afford them.  
Trijicon, Novak, and Meprolight is what I've got.  Like them all.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:03:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I like night sights on my weapons. I've prefer Trijicon, MMC, or Truglo's new fiber optic/night sights. I've used others but those seem to be the best in my experience.  Pros are that you can see your sights at night without having to turn a light on and the cons are the cost and possibility of failure. I've had Meprolights fail. Every night sight I've had installed did not need to be zeroed.

10mmillie-  How did your Meps fail you?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:11:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Trijicon.  On everything or installed in aftermarket sights.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:02:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Trijicon.  On everything or installed in aftermarket sights.

+1

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:45:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Night sights are a waste of money. Just use the force.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#11]
If the pistol is concealed carry piece, I would add night sights.  Trijicon or Meprolights are the better ones and usually offered by manufacturers as optional, and as long as they are installed in the middle, sighting in isn't necessary.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Let's see, 3 handguns with night sights, 1 without.  I have Novak, Trijicon, and Trilux.  Out of the 3, the Trilux are the dimmest but they're about 5 years old, still plenty bright enough to hit stuff with.  The Trijicons were just installed on my Sig 220, which will be my carry piece.  The problem I have with the Novaks is minor (maybe).  Suppose you're injured and unable to rack the slide with your left hand.  Normally I would catch the sight on my pocket or belt or something to rack the slide.  With the Novak sights you can't do that due to the slanted design.  It becomes necessary to rack the slide another way.  Inconvenient, sure, super-important, not really.  Just an observation.  The way I see it, better to have them and not need them, than need them and not have them.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Do the math.

And 95% of gun fights happen at ranges where you don't need *SIGHTS* let alone nightsights.  

For a bedside gun, useful.  For a CCW piece, unnecessary (although if you want to spend the cash on them go for it).  

How often are you walking around with a CCW piece where it's so dark that you couldn't see a regular set of sights?  

BTW, I have night sights on mine.  Came with the gun.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:20:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Trijicon or Meprolights are what come on our issued duty weapon, when i ordered my 23 I ordered Meprolights because they seem to be a little bigger ( the part teh glows) then the Trijicon but when the gun came in it had Trijicon installed and I like them. The sw 99 I may be able to get them as aoption factory installed. Do you know what brand they would be? the model 96 does not offer as a option and I may have them added and I may not since it is not going to be my main carry gun. please keep the info coming.

P.S how long do they last?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:24:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Personally I prefer plain old iron sights. Maybe with a bright orange insert in the front and a white outline in the rear but thats about it for me. I figure in extreme low light I will be point shooting anyway (and yes, I do practice that). If I ever got into a O-dark thirty fire fight I can't imagine spending a lot of time aligning a precision shot anyway.
Just my opinion....
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:33:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Night sights. Have them on my G19, and G17. When I put the gun on the night stand you can see the sights glow. Have Trijicons that Glock put on for me. $72 plus local sales tax. Free return shipping.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#19]
night sites all the way.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:17:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

P.S how long do they last?

I've read around 10-12 years is the half-life.  They should be half as bright then as they were new.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:49:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
How far can you shoot without using the sights? Have you practiced this a lot? There are lots of stories from back when police officers were taught to shoot that way of them missing at very close ranges.

At 5 yards I have no problems putting 8/10 rounds in the A or -0 zone on a target.  I guess since I shoot alot of IPSC/IDPA, I do practice that quite a bit, but it's easier than you think.  With a correct grip on the gun, your gun becomes an extension of your arms, and pointing your arms at something at 5 yards away is pretty trivial.

As for police officers, most make a lousy model of model gun handling.  Not all, but most only shoot a couple times a year.

I do agree with you on the being able to ID your target.  I'd hate to take a shot at a shadow or outline without knowing who it was.  Lots of tragedies happen that way.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I have Trijicon and Meprolites on most of my stuff.

No complaints.

However , one pistol in particular has a green front with orange rears.

I am liking that combonation more all the time!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:32:30 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
As for police officers, most make a lousy model of model gun handling.  Not all, but most only shoot a couple times a year.

Your qualified to speak for "Most" LEO's?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:08:03 AM EDT
[#25]
mepros for me
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:13:22 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a set to Trijicon's on a USPc45 and a set of Truglo fiber optic day/night sights on a USP Tactical and an XD SC. To tell you the truth, I prefer the Truglos. They give you the same sight picture day or night. When you reach 40, your close in vision tends to get a little blurry and the Truglos help out a lot.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Wow, way to focus on the front sight!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:58:24 AM EDT
[#28]
I have Novaks on my 1911, and Trijicons on my Sig.  Both are great.  The Trijicons are getting a little dim, but still plenty bright enough to see in the dark.  As posted above, a small flashlight is crucial.  And when I am going to be out after dark I always have one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top