Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2007 11:46:46 PM EDT
i just bought a new glock 21sf, let a friend look at it and he locked the slide back and released it with release button allowing it to slam forward(without a loaded mag in). i remember always being told not to release the slide with the 'release lever' without a loaded mag in, but that was a 1911. is it 'bad' to do that with a glock?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:01:52 AM EDT
[#1]
while i've heard a few say that its bad (specifically, using the glock slide stop to release the slide), even on glocks, i say that its fine

h/w, i'd dropped the slide down a thousand times on glocks w/ no mag w/ no problems...YMMV
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:04:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:09:41 AM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:
Won't hurt a glock, I think with a 1911 it's letting it slam forward without a round in it.

sorry, thats what i meant, a loaded mag. does anyone know why its 'bad' for the 1911 but maybe not for the glock?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:31:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Won't hurt a glock, I think with a 1911 it's letting it slam forward without a round in it.

sorry, thats what i meant, a loaded mag. does anyone know why its 'bad' for the 1911 but maybe not for the glock?

well, allowing any firearm's bolt/slide to slam home w/out a rnd in it is simply hard(er) on the firearm--no sense in abusing it to wear stuff out, right?

but on 1911s, it can lead to damages to the sear and hammer (i believe that someone here once called it "sear bounce"?, so i guess it might have an official name)
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:35:54 AM EDT
[#5]
On a 1911 letting the slide drop on an empty chamber hurts your trigger job, or how it was told to me...slam home emty= fucky fucky

will not hurt a glock, maybe because glock trigger already fucky fucky
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:55:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Never heard of such a thing.  I own and have owned several 1911 and Glock pistols and no harm has ever come from dropping the slide on an empty chamber.  No worries mate.

-MEI
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:09:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
On a 1911 letting the slide drop on an empty chamber hurts your trigger job, or how it was told to me...slam home emty= fucky fucky

will not hurt a glock, maybe because glock trigger already fucky fucky

That made me laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:09:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Your friend needs bitch slappin'
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:18:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know, ther could be real damage to that firearm.

You should send it to me for an absolutely free of charge evaluation.

I've dropped the slide on 1911's and Glocks with no ill effects. I wouldn't recommend it on the 1911, though, just in case.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#10]
ive NEVER heard of such a thing on any pistol
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#11]
It's all gun shop BS IMHO, just like dry firing is bad, just like the slide stop vs. slide release vs. pulling back the slide to release argument.
Someone who has been through an armorers course will be along shortly to correct me.

I've never seen any damage result from any of these actions, but then I've never sat in a room and done it thousands of times repeatedly, over and over, redundantly.
That is to say, again and again.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#12]
call glock and see what the "experts" say  
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't think it is that big of deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top