Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2013 2:19:17 PM EDT
Hey guys, New to the forum. I'm wanting to get into 1911's (long overdue I know) spent most of my life shooting rifles and shotguns but lately find myself shooting handguns more frequently. I'm not very familiar with the 1911 platform but excited to learn and have from reading thru the topics here. My question is I have a gentlemen I see at the range often he has a Springfield 1911 Loaded I'm considering buying as my 1st one. Its mfg date is feb 1999 he has some upgrades swapped out the guide rod ,springs etc with wilson combat parts but is asking $800. Is this normal in the 1911 market to pay new prices on 14 year old gun? It's not a colt or anything special has some wear on it but in good condition,with the exception of a few of my shotguns I don't think I could ask new prices for any of my 10 year old rifles.  I don't mind spending money on firearms but I work hard for my money and don't want to be taken for a ride either. Would I be better off buying new and dealing with the wait time on delivery as no one in my area seems to have them in stock and I really don't want my first 1911 to be Arsmcor/RIA or do I ?  Are there any things in particular I should avoid when looking into buying these types of pistols ?  thanks for your time any advise is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#1]
No, don't pay new prices for old used guns.

I'd go $600-650 if it was good shape.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Where are you in IL. I know of a place that has a ton. Yea don't pay new prices for a used gun. If your anywhere near Chicago I can give you a place
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm near rockford western, IL.  Thanks guys wasn't sure about the price didn't seem right but I know 1911's are a world of their own and used is the only thing avail at the moment , But I think I'll wait for a new one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Well if you'd like to take a ride to Midwest in Lyons, I was just there and they are very well stocked up new and used. Prices are fair not great but fair
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing wrong with Rock Island.

Did you try GunsAmerica or GunBroker for a Loaded? At least get an idea of prices.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#6]
When I hear "swapped out the factory parts for Wilson/Brown/etc.", my antennae go up.  

There is a better than even chance of something not working correctly after such a swap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top