Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2003 1:58:14 PM EDT
I just bought a new springfield 45 and the damn thing fails to eject.After talking to several people at springfield ,who promised a 4 week turn around.I decided to fix it myself.I dont feel that 4 weeks is exceptable and shipping is expensive for their mistakes.FYI the damn thing is also marked IMBEL BRAZIL.Scott
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#1]
At least they told you about the 4 weeks up front. When my $900 Black Stainless model broke 2 days after I got it they told me they would turn it right around. Didn't mention the four weeks until I called to follow up on it.

It did show up after 3.5 weeks and it was fixed. They also reimburse for the overnight shipping costs; just include a copy of the shipping receipt with the gun.

Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Last I checked, all SA models made in the last 20 or so years are marked "Brazil". Nothing wrong with their quality, IMO. Both of my 1911s are SA's.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I like my Imbel FAL , I too would be a bit miffed to buy a 1911 clone and find out it was made overseas but had the homeboy name on it.

Link Posted: 11/2/2003 12:46:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Sucks to have issues beyond little kinks with a new gun.
I noticed you mentioned several people told you '4 weeks'. Sounds like all customer service staff are told to stick to that quote no matter what the problem is.
Pretty long turnover time, but what are you gonna do beyond sell it, swear to never buy another one, etc. -Again, it sucks.
In their defense, it has been common knowledge that they use some parts from Brazil.

They make reliable 1911 models, I haven't heard reports good or bad on the WWII model until your post. Other than that Springfield 1911 owners defend their guns consistently. (Although I'd be damn pissed if I picked up the Black Stainless model DavidC mentioned and had it bust on me in two days).

The WWII model is on the lower price end. I say you just turn it into a project to pimp it out. If you are set on the real deal WWII 1911A1, you can track down one of the Colt custom shop models. Damn expensive though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 5:16:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Not knowing the whole story, I would imagine factory hardball was used...I wouldn't really expect a new gun to run on SWC target loads from the box.
Yes, 4 weeks suck being without it, after all they have your money already, but assuming it's not your only gun (your not without one) all you can do is wait it out.
To me, that's one advantage to having a small collection, you can send one out for repairs and not really miss it.
As far as being marked "IMBEL BRAZIL", it was like that when you bought it, right?
Not trying to sugar coat the problem, that would upset me too, taking it out of service and shipping it back and all.
I hope it's worth the wait, these things obviously do happen.
Thanks for sharing the experience, good or bad.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I tuned the extractor for more tension and now things seem to be fine after a 100 rds of ball and reloads.But when I ordered a mil spec gun I figured the frame would have the standard BRAZIL marking.Not IMBEL.When I order a Ford , it should say ford,even if its a mazda.Scott
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#7]
All Springfield frames are forged by IMBEL in Brazil. Federal law requires them to be marked as such (my Black Stainless has two sets of markings; one on the dust cover, one under the right side grips.

Of all the things to bitch about SA, the IMBEL frames aren't one of them.

Link Posted: 11/4/2003 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Ever wonder why SA can't build a gun with a working extractor?  I had the same problem with a brand new Operator model.  I sent it back to SA and they mucked with it.  It still would not eject reliably.  I sold the gun, vowing never to waste another dime on SA 1911s.

Frankly, I rank SA at the bottom of the pile in terms of quality, just below Kimber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top