Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2006 9:32:15 PM EDT
this isnt my side of the forum, i will admit i am not a big 1911 guy, but i really need some advise.
This is not for me, but for my dad. He is a huge 1911 fan and has wanted one since I was young. Well I'm pretty set on that I am goin to get him one for father's day. I would like some suggestions on a decent 1911. Budget wise I would like to stay in the 750ish range or lower. depending on what you guys suggest i can adjust that up or down. I am starting to look now so I have time to make a wise choice.
key points on what i should look for and what to look out for would be a great help.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Kimber, Springfield, Para are all nice guns in your price range.  If you go with a Kimber get one with the internal extractor.  I'm sure your dad would be happy with any of them.

Diamondback

A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller that .45.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:10:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Try to get one with some of the nicer options. You may pay a little more but it will be worth it. By the nice options I mean good sights( tritium night sights are very cool and very functional). A beavertail grip safety is nice. I also like the lowered and flared ejection port as well. When I bought my first 45 like 15 years ago it was kind of hard to find these on a gun out of the box(or maybe I didn't look for them that hard). No GI 45 will have all these. That wouldn't matter so much except the GI styles usually have crappy sights. I got a Springfield Armory Loaded 1911 for around 800 and it's a very nice piece.It has all the above options and a few more as well.Your buying your dad a really nice present that's for sure!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys, i will look around and see what i find
yea im at a point where i can afford to get him a gift of this statute.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:56:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:27:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I generally look for used 70 series Colt or used series 1 Kimbers when I am looking for a newer 1911.

Generally few people shoot these guns to the round count that they can take.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top