Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2004 6:56:18 PM EDT
I am wanting to start carrying my 1911(Kimber) and want some good mags to use with it. I heard Wilson makes the best.  Is this true and where is a good place to buy them at??
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Wilson Combat is the shit.  $25 is what they go for.  Look in your local shop or hit cheaper than dirt, natchez, brownells etc.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Wilson Combat is the shit.

+1
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 11:38:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Wilson mags work great.

The best 1911 mag question is one that gets asked pretty often. Some folks hold their ground on brands other than Wilson, and I'm sure they are reliable brands or they wouldn't be talking about them.

Personally, after experiencing some crappy mags when I got my first 1911 I began using Wilsons and never looked back. They simply do not give my 1911s any problems. So when the question is asked my answer is easy.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:53:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:01:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an 8 rd & a 10 rd Tripp mag & both function perfect but were a little expensive.

I've also been using 3 different 8 rd Novak/ACT mags & they've been great too, and are available for $20 or less.

Wilsons are OK too, I have about 10 I've been using for 10 years now. I need to change springs every few years to keep them 100% though.

I haven't been using the Tripp or Novak mags long enough to comment on spring life.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Can't go wrong with Wilson.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Wilson is excellent but what's wrong with the Kimber mag?  I have'nt had a single problem with any of my Kimber mags.......
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I wanted a mag with a rounded bottom, cause my Kimber mags have the point that poked out the bottom of the grip near the front.  It makes holes in my shirts when I wear it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I wanted a mag with a rounded bottom, cause my Kimber mags have the point that poked out the bottom of the grip near the front.  It makes holes in my shirts when I wear it.

Wilson and CMCPowers have plastic bottoms and the metal lip of a standard mag isn't protruding. This may help.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Wilsons

If you have a acct with Midway you can get them reasonable
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Tripp Research Cobramags got a good review in the American Rifleman, Sept. 2004.
At $44 retail, they claim the Cobramag functioned where the others failed, including Metalform, Shooting Star and Wilson.
I may look for one myself, although I'm running 100% already.

Basically that article said to me that if you buy a $300 Rock Island Armory 1911 and it wont shoot hollow points because its a piece of shit, you can buy 2-3 expensive, non factory geometry, untested mags that will put you at the price of a springfield armory milspec.  Of course chances are if you just bought the milspec to start with you could use $7 GI mags.

My train of on a pistol that doesnt reliably shoot HP/defensive ammo is:

A: Just shoot FMJ, .45 is a decent hole puncher
B: Keep it as a plinker
C: Sell the gun

I would probably go with C.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:57:14 AM EDT
[#12]
How much below the grip do the Wilson 10-rounders stick out? From a full-size 1911?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:08:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wilson is excellent but what's wrong with the Kimber mag?  I have'nt had a single problem with any of my Kimber mags.......

I don't know maybe Kimber mags work well in Kimber 1911s, but a range buddy of mine has a Springfield Armory compact 1911 and an Auto-Ordnance GI model 1911. The factory mags for both of these feed flawlessly, as do the Chip McCormick mags he bought. The two Kimber Stainless mags he bought for them cause feed jams quite frequently.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top