Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2003 5:20:29 AM EDT
I am looking at buying either a kimber gold match, or a springfield loaded. The springfield is a few hundred less in cost but does not have the adjustable sights. I know they are both nice guns. I have shot the kimber and like it a lot, but I have been reading good things about springfield too. What do you guys think about which one is a better buy?
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:33:31 AM EDT
[#1]
What are you using it for? Unless its just a range gun, skip the adjustable sight models.

Both are high quality handguns.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:39:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Right now I mainly shoot for practice at the range. In the future I may want to shoot some competition. I am on a pistol team at work, but there I have to shoot my duty weapon.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:54:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I can tell you from personal experience that kimber has crappy customer service.  I understand that in manufacturing you will always have a few lemons but when you spend close to $900 on a high end kimber you would expect them to own up to a problem and fix it.  It took me four times to of having kimber replace the front night site before I got fed up with it and paid to have a diffrent brand put in and sold the gun.  I will never buy another kimber because I feel they do not stand behind there product.  Plus there head and prices have gotten really swollen in the past few years
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks woodrow, I think I will go with the springfield.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Springfield (loaded, stainless)that I am very happy with. It has Novak sights which are not adjustable. For a few more dollars you can get the Springfield with the adjustable sights.
The Springfield is a great choice IMHO.

Jim Hall
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#6]
At the risk of hijacking the thread, may I suggest a Wilson for very little more than what you'd pay for the Kimber? A Wilson is a far superior 1911 to the Kimber, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I just bought a used Wilson CQB and I LOVE it.

I looked at Kimber real hard and once I held the Wilson and looked at it even used it was a way better gun than the new Kimber Gold Combat I looked at.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#8]
If I were you, I'd skip the adjustable sights.  'Fixed' ones can still be drifted if you know what you're doing (or have a good pistolsmith on call), and tend to be more durable.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:05:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Springfield. I love mine.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd also recommend the fixed combat sights. Low snag is good.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 3:42:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the replys, you have all been a great help, I will let ya know what I end up with.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:52:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I think if I were to get a .45 right now...since I already have a 1911... I'd get a CZ97B... I've heard they are the shiznit.  Very accurate right out of the box.  I read a review recently, a guy was getting nice one-ragged-hole groups OUT OF THE BOX.  And it's almost not noticeably larger than the 1911.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:10:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm also looking for a .45 to add to the safe. I am going to a gun show tommorrow to look and handle a few models. I had Kimber on my list, the Tactical Custom or CDP Custom, but if they don't stand behind their product I'll pass.

I want to look at a Sig P220, S&W 1911, and Springfield TRP and Black Stainless. I have read many, many good posts on the Sig P220. Most everyone seems to like the pistol but they say it is too big for carry. I like the 1911 design and look but I have read an alarming no. of posts about reliability issues with 1911's. Mostly extraction problems and FTF problems with hollow point ammo. I want something that is gonna work outta the box without time and $$ spent with the smith to make it work right. GunBlast gave the S&W 1911 a good review. It has an external extractor which they say is a great improvement over the original internal design. It's priced right too ~$600 - $700. I don't know too much about Springfields. I have read good and bad about them also.

Guess I'll go take a look. I'd like to come home with a new buddy. I will most likely not simply because I'm not knowledgeable enough to make an informed decision.

Shabo
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Springfield "LOADED" S/S.
I have one and can not see spending more for a 1911. It is accurate as hell and very reliable. I've said it here before.... Why spend a grand- plus, for a 1911 when you can have quality  for under $700.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 2:32:48 AM EDT
[#16]
[flame-suit-on]
There's 2 kinds of Kimbers: the cheap ones, which aren't worth crap, and the expensive ones, which aren't worth crap.

There's 2 kinds of Springfields: the cheap ones, which aren't worth crap, and the expensive ones, which aren't worth crap.

Get yourself a Wilson, Les Baer, RRA, or Valtro.
[/flame-suit-on]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top