Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2011 2:58:58 PM EDT
So I was at the local Gun Shop with a friend and I found a used / pre owned Ruger GP100.

I traded it for my VZ61 that I bought a few years ago and never fired so I was happy with doing this Trade even if I took a hit on it.
This at least will be shoot and not sit in the Safe unused.

This is my 1st Revolver and it is pretty power full but so much fun to shoot.

It looks pretty rough and beat up in some spots. It has a little rust in some areas but other than that I think it is pretty cool.

Here are some pic of it

I do not know really anything about Revolvers I had just recently shoot a few at the Range and just thought those would be fun.

So please pardon my ignorance when it comes to Revolvers.

I shot Magtech 357 Magnum through it.

I believe I was told that I can shoot 38 special through it. Is that correct of did I miss understand this. Just want to make sure/

I would like to get it refinished to put it back to a nice presentable Gun and give it some life back.

I am perhaps thinking of using Customized Creationz to do the refinishing but perhaps there are other suggestions where / who can do this for me. Any suggestion is appreciated.
It may also need a new front sight since it is a little dinged up on the right side. Also the front of the barrel could use a little TLC.

Also is there away if I would call Ruger they could tell me what year this was made in and perhaps if it ever was send in to them just any info on it at all would be great to know.

It would be nice to get an idea of what year this is. Perhaps there is another way to tell.  

Also can somebody tell me what the little pin is that I found in the Grip. Is that perhaps a spare firing pin?

I also would like a holster for it - not for CCW and not an IWB Holster and I would prefer Leather. I looked at Galco but I am sure other options are available.

For now I plan on just cleaning it and trying to clean up the wood panels a little.

any suggestion and feedback would be appreciated.

thank you
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, any .357 can shoot .38 Specials. Ensure that you clean the chamber/throat before going back to .357 Magnum rounds.

According to Ruger's website, your GP-100 was made in 1989.

That pin is used in removing the mainspring and strut from the frame. With the grips off, cock the hammer and watch the mainspring strut extend down. As you do this, you will see a small hole in the bottom of the strut appear. This is where you put the pin.

I would review the instruction manual, which available free from ruger.com. Just go to their customer service box and you will see the instruction manual option appear.

I'm partial to Electroless Nickel, or maybe Cerakote, for refinishing.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yes, any .357 can shoot .38 Specials. Ensure that you clean the chamber/throat before going back to .357 Magnum rounds.

That pin is used in removing the mainspring and strut from the frame. With the grips off, cock the hammer and watch the mainspring strut extend down. As you do this, you will see a small hole in the bottom of the strut appear. This is where you put the pin.

I would review the instruction manual, which available free from ruger.com. Just go to their customer service box and you will see the instruction manual option appear.

thank you for your info and feedback.

I downloaded the Manual and yes you are correct from the Chart it is from 1989.

I was given some links to how to take it down and put it back together.

I am thinking of getting Cerakoted in Black or perhaps some other color. Not sure yet.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thank you for your info and feedback.

I downloaded the Manual and yes you are correct from the Chart it is from 1989.

I was given some links to how to take it down and put it back together.

I am thinking of getting Cerakoted in Black or perhaps some other color. Not sure yet.

You're welcome.

Cor-Bon used a 4" GP-100 to test accuracy/velocity in their .38 Special +P and .357 Magnum loads from 1991 to 2005.

They put ~200,000 rounds through it before sending it back to Ruger to be rebarreled. Ruger asked them if they could keep the revolver instead, and send them a new one.

You will be hard pressed to wear out a GP-100 (or a 686 for that matter).

It is a chunky beast, so you will need a quality belt to carry it.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Get some Brownells Dicropan, 91% Isoprophyl Alcohol   and 0000 steel wool.   Clean the metal with the alcohol and put bluing on with the steel wool.  Wash with water and repeat. It will look new in no time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Get some Brownells Dicropan, 91% Isoprophyl Alcohol   and 0000 steel wool.   Clean the metal with the alcohol and put bluing on with the steel wool.  Wash with water and repeat. It will look new in no time.

will this take the spots out.

I was told that those are from blood. I guess blood reacts with the bluing on a gun and hence those spots on the right side.

thanks for info on this process

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was told that those are from blood. I guess blood reacts with the bluing on a gun and hence those spots on the right side.

thanks for info on this process

???
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:09:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I just got the DeSantis Speed Scabbard for my GP100. It is a good leather holster for the money.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Man, it looks like somebody used your revolver to hit rocks.  The spots may be blood.

I have the same GP100 blued 4" .357mag.  The bluing on mine is also very worn.  However it shoots great and I only paid $200.00 at a gun show.  The trigger was sort of gritty and would jump a bit when I first got the revolver.  I dry fired the crap out of it both double and single action, while I held my other thumb against the back of the hammer to increase the friction on the parts inside.  The trigger is now pretty smooth.

I really like the Academy .357 magnum 158 grain made in Serbia ammunition.  Pretty hot load.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice pistol, it will clean up very easily.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#10]
thank you for all the comments and feedback

I was just outside to shoot another 50 rounds through it. It is one hell of a nice gun to have fun with. I think I am addicted to Revolvers now.
I never thought I would say this but they are great Guns.

will see what my next one will be.

Link Posted: 9/20/2011 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok, I gotta say it.

If it's blood, under what circumstances would it have sat around in blood long enough to make spots like that? And in that particular pattern?

I mean if I get blood on my knife or gun while deer hunting, I just wipe it off on my pants, oil it up when I get home or back at camp. No biggie. Never makes any spots approaching what you have.

Do the grips smell funky?
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ok, I gotta say it.

If it's blood, under what circumstances would it have sat around in blood long enough to make spots like that? And in that particular pattern?

I mean if I get blood on my knife or gun while deer hunting, I just wipe it off on my pants, oil it up when I get home or back at camp. No biggie. Never makes any spots approaching what you have.

Do the grips smell funky?

no the grip does not smell at all.
When I was in the shop and I ask about those spots he said it was blood. He did not know the story behind it but said it could have been that the guy shooting it had is hand in the wrong place.

I have no clue nor did I know what blood can leaves spots at all on any finish.
If that had happened to me like you I would have cleaned it up right away (I guess depending on what took place).

Those spots just look funky to me.

I contacted Ruger to have them look at it and clean it up and refinish it for me. Waiting to hear back from them with shipping Info.

They will install a new sight and strip it down and clean it and service it properly. I also ask them to clean up the front of the barrel as it has a few dings in it.

Going back to those stains. As I said I am very skeptical about this. I do not know if blood can do this I would think not.

Will see if Ruger can tell me what those are

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#13]
The PIN in the grip is the mainspring holding pin.

When you take the gun apart, one of the things you do it ( empty the weapon ) cock the hammer and put that pin in the hole that is in the hammer strut.  This locks the tension in the spring and keeps it on the strut so you can take the weapon apart.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:11:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'd bet the damage is more likely from being thrown into a tool box or glove box filled with tools.  And then bumped around a lot.  The rust then formed where the finish was rubbed off.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Lots of salt in blood. Conducive to rust. Looks like a good candidate for a refinish.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ok, I gotta say it.

Think evidence locker.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, I gotta say it.

Think evidence locker.

I still have not found out.

However I did contact Ruger and they told me what year it was made and when it left the Factory. Other than that I have not found out anything more.

All I know is it shoots great and is one fun gun. I am looking already for another GP100
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, I gotta say it.

Think evidence locker.

I'm thinking suicide. Maybe a 3 days to a week before they found the body.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, I gotta say it.

Think evidence locker.

In which case it would land in an evidence locker. I was trying to point out the obvious without tainting the OP's new to him gun buzz. Some people wouldn't be bothered with the notion others would.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, I gotta say it.

Think evidence locker.

In which case it would land in an evidence locker. I was trying to point out the obvious without tainting the OP's new to him gun buzz. Some people wouldn't be bothered with the notion others would.

I sure hope not that somebody took his own life with this Gun.

My theory is and it is just that that somebody shoot the gun and had the hand over the ports where the gasses exit and thus he got hurt and perhaps he did not clean the gun right away. If you look at the pictures the right side is what I am talking about but again this could all be B.S. what the guy told me. I am not an expert to know if this is the case or not. If blood in fact would do this to finish (I have to say I doubt that this is possible). It sure makes for a cool story until I get it refinished.

I would love to find out for sure what the deal is.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, I gotta say it.

Think evidence locker.

My theory is and it is just that that somebody shoot the gun and had the hand over the ports where the gasses exit and thus he got hurt and perhaps he did not clean the gun right away. If you look at the pictures the right side is what I am talking about but again this could all be B.S. what the guy told me. I am not an expert to know if this is the case or not. If blood in fact would do this to finish (I have to say I doubt that this is possible). It sure makes for a cool story until I get it refinished.

I'm not going to speculate further, enjoy your new gun. I'd have it bead blasted and hard chromed.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:39:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, I gotta say it.

Think evidence locker.

Note all the damage is on the corners / muzzle / fat cylinder.  If it was blood it would be more even.  The gun was just simply thrown in loose in a tool box, truck bed box, or tackle box by someone who didn't care about the guns finish.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Sorry dude.

It's like tales from the gun counter. Brings back memories.

Either it really was blood or he was feeding you a line of bs, but since you said blood, it made me wonder.

Just get it refinished and shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nice pistol, it will clean up very easily.

Pistol = semi auto

+1

OP
GP100 is a pretty nice handgun
I had the 3 and 6 inch  GP100`s
Both rugged & and accurate.
I like the grip the most of all when shooting Full magnum handloads
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:17:24 AM EDT
[#25]
You got a  nice revolver!Love the 4 in blue I have a stainless steel 4 in.Plus have a blued  4 in  waiting for me to pick her up in 20 days!You can send your pistol  to Ruger they will get her looking new for a great price.You have a early GP it is worth  restoring!Enjoy your pistol oh forgot they are very accurate too!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Put a set of Meprolight sights on it. The Factory sights are weak.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top