Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/23/2005 5:03:50 AM EDT
Just got a colt 80:

1.Spur hammer vs the rounded one? I see most folks have upgraded to the rounded one. Whats the advantage? Or do they just come with the trigger upgrades?

2.Do most sights require mods to the slide? I just want some night sights that wont cost an arm and leg to get done. I currently have the 3 white dots

3.MIM, which are the must replace parts? Does Colt even have any?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:53:05 AM EDT
The Colt should be good to go out of the box. The rounded hammers are commonly installed as a by-product of beavertail installation. A spur hammer has to be really chopped down to function with most beavertails, so it's common to just swap the hammers.

Some folks don't like the plastic mainspring housing, but personally I don't mind... especially on a carry gun it saves a lot of weight.

As for sights, there are several makers of night sights that will fit into the factory cut-outs. Trijicon and Meprolight both make factory replacements -- in fact, I just installed a set of Mepros on one of my Colt series 80 Commanders.

MIM parts: on Colts I don't worry about it too much. The hammer and sear can be replaced but the factory parts have a good track record.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:00:33 PM EDT
cool. thank you.
Top Top