Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2006 9:11:42 PM EDT
I don't yet have my CHL and I recently acquired a new CZ75B. I know it's legal to have my pistol when driving straight from home to the gun range and vise versa.

Is it then legal to drive straight from my house to my farm (30+ miles away). I want to go shooting there instead of the range.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless the law states that it has to be a public range and it's legal for you to shoot on your farm I don't see a problem wih it.  I'd unload it and keep the ammo in the trunk just to help sell the story.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Texas passed changes that wente into effect 9/2005 allowing an individual to carry a pistol in his/her car without risk of arrest (conditions do apply).  See the link below:

http://www.gunlaws.com/tgogup3.htm

Part of the description of changes that pertain to your questions are:

The definition of "traveling," for the exemption from a charge of illegal carry under 46.15(b)(3), is this:

A person is presumed to be traveling if the person is:
(1) in a private motor vehicle;
(2) not otherwise engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;
(3) not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing a firearm;
(4) not a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01; and
(5) not carrying a handgun in plain view.

Check the link out.   Hope this helps.  JD
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Is it then legal to drive straight from my house to my farm (30+ miles away). I want to go shooting there instead of the range.

Texas law does not prevent you from carrying a handgun in your vehicle. There are restrictions on carrying "on or about your person" and that would include in the glove compartment or within arms reach.

Texas law does not determine whether the firearm is loaded or whether ammunition is present.

You may have a handgun "on or about your person" if you are proceeding directly to a destination for the purpose of shooting, hunting, fishing or other events where a handgun would be used.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:24:49 AM EDT
[#4]
No offense to anyone, but I'd get my legal advice from a lawyer or a knowledgable LEO.  You could always call the AG's office, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top