Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2006 4:04:53 PM EDT
I'm sure this horse has been beat well beyond experation, but I will ask again since my search turned up nothing.  Can i shoot rekoaded lead bullets through a glock w/o damaging the barrel.  I've heard the answer is no but I want to conferm this.

thank you
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I have over 90,000 rounds out the pipe of my Glock 17,  about half of that is lead reloads......I have had ZERO issues or degradation of accuracy.

just make sure to clean very well.

Pilk
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm sure this horse has been beat well beyond experation, but I will ask again since my search turned up nothing.  Can i shoot rekoaded lead bullets through a glock w/o damaging the barrel.  I've heard the answer is no but I want to conferm this.

thank you

Have you RTFM yet that came with your GLOCK?
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 5:56:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Believe it or not, Glock has a website.  On that website it addresses how to clean its products, when to clean its products and what ammunition to use.

There will always be an exceptional person who assiduously cleans his Glock, uses quality lead reloads and never experiences a failure.  

Then there the rest of us.

There is an explained reason why Glock advises against using reloads.  It is not just bs put out by the legal department.

Have I personally shot lead reloads through some of my Glocks?  Yes.  Do I advise it?  No.  Will I be doing so in the future?  NO.  Why not?  My eyesight, my hands and my life are now significantly more important to me.  I have also had the experience of a nonGlock handgun, using factory loads, and repaired by a gunsmith blow up in my hands.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're going to shoot lead, I would invest in an aftermarket barrel with traditional rifling, or, spend a few extra bucks and reload using copper plated bullets.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I would agree with BrianNH, if it is that big of a deal with you, buy a Bar-Sto barrel and forget about what you put in it.  Another factor is the warranty.  Also, if you are putting reloads through the barrel with lead bullets, don't load them up to stop an elephant.  I usually shoot mild reloads through my stock Model 21 barrel all the time and have never experienced any problems.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Short answer is no, like everyone else is saying.  

You can do it, if you use hard cast bullets with gas checks (optional, but recommended).  Then clean it thoroughly and frequently with lead removing solvent.

A drop in aftermarket barrel with standard rifling is easy.  Bar-sto is top notch, but there are plenty of other quality brands that are much cheaper out there.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thank you

Have you RTFM yet that came with your GLOCK?

I did and know the answer.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#9]
consider your answer confirmed.  You can shoot lead, and you can also damage the barrel's rifling, but there is no guarantee or warranty in doing so.  It is kind of like cocaine, one shot can screw you, or you can go forever without damage, but why risk it?  If you really want to use lead, go with aftermarket and save the factory barrel for prosperity.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 on the aftermarket barrel.   I have a G32 that I carry.   I shoot it 85% of the time with a KKM 40 S&W barrel, RELOADED 40 S&W and lead 155gn SWC that I caste.   Never had an issue.   Would I do the same thing out of a Glock factory barrel.   Not a chance.    

The only stock Glock gun I would consider shooting lead in is the 21/30 and I am very anal about cleaning guns.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top