Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 5:23:37 PM EDT
well, the .Gov decided i was worthy of my tax check today, so i picked up the Kimber, only ran 20 rds through it, as that was all the ammo i had left in my range bag....no failures, i'll put more rounds in it tomorrow when i clock out at the gun shop and head back on the range. I'll get a range report out and try to get some pics up. Right now it is riding in a Bianchi Acumold holster, I was thinking about getting one of the Galco COP holsters for it. Also replace the rubber grips with some half checkered rosewood grips...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Good choice.
The Custom II (in stainless) was my first Kinber.
Had it for 4 years now, no problems so far.
BTW, is this your first 1911?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I have 3 series II Kimbers and they have been as reliable as my 3 series I Kimbers.

A few FTF's in the first hundred rounds on three of the guns(SGM I, Compact II, Eclipse II) and then smooth sailing until they get really dirty.

The SGM has a really tight throat/chamber, the compact need the extractor tension corrected and the Eclipse ran fine once she got going.

Guns have from 2K to 7K through them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#3]
no, i have a RIA, that has been my first. I will most likely keep as a truck gun. I've been wanting another, better, 1911 for a while now. it came down to colt, springer or kimber. The price was right and there was one on the shelf, so it's on lay a way now
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#4]
After the first 200 round or so my plane jane Kimber Custom II has been totally reliable.  I did change out the extractor for a WC hard core, mostly due to paranoia steming from internet forums as opposed to any actual problems.

I think this is one gun I will have for the rest of my life
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:22:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Had a few feed problems with mine in the first 200 rounds, I changed the recoil spring and the following 3000 round have been no problem.  I have not changed any of the MIM parts out either.

I did put in the regular G.I. plug and guide instead of the full length guide because I just don't like them, not for any particular reason.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:20:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I will also be buying a Kimber custom II in stainless when my tax check arrives. It does have the internal extractor.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#7]
well, taxes are filed, so in the next 8-15 days that Kimber will come home with me.

i chose the Kimber over the springer since it doesn't have that damn lawyer lock that shouldn't be there, and it's got a one piece barrel. I know it doesn't make that much of a difference, just personal prefernce. Eventually, i'll change out the MIM with Wilson or similar bar stock parts, just going to enjoy shooting the hell outta it first.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:44:01 AM EDT
[#8]
My Custom II had a couple of FTE in the first 100 rounds.  I don't know if I should blame it on the Kimber or the gun show reloads I was shooting.  I'm reloading my own now and have had no more failures of any type.

I think for the money, the Custom II is a great buy.

eta, mine has the external extractor.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#9]

i love mine!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, my Custom-II is my first 1911, and I LOVE it.  Haven't had an FTF2/FTE2 with it yet.  You won't be disappointed!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#11]
.BTT
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:38:08 PM EDT
[#12]
You guys tick me off!  I owe enough taxes to buy a Wilson or other "Boutique" gun.  My wife just bought a new Sig 229 with the accessory rail so I can at least fiddle with that till I build up my savings again.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#13]
sorry 'bout that man....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top