Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/3/2009 4:47:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/11/2009 3:06:45 AM EST by buck19delta]
the local gunshop has a used (like new) not a scratch , springfield armory , stainless steel trp, with night sights. they have the original box, looks like it has not been fired. comes with paperwork, and 1 extra mag. 1 mag is blue and one is stainless. i dont imagine it came with a blue mag, so i guess the blue mag is a add on. im planning to buy some wilson combat magazines for it.............i have a springfield xd .45, but a 1911 just feels " right". i cant wait to get it. ... the stupid thing is, i waslooking for another rifle......

msar aug bullpup $1999.99.......... too much $$ right now
ruger 556 ar-15.....$1500.00....... i was tempted, but i have been shooting ar-15 rifles for a long time, and never found the direct impingement unreliable.
sig 556...................$1500.00 with sig red dot and buis sights. .. i almost did a layaway for this. but iv been reading complaints about the sig rifle, so i thought i would wait. honestly, if i buy another ebr, it would be one of those three. ... i just saw the trp, and realized i was going to save about $500.00 bucks, and even though it was not likely to be banned i had to buy it. ...

original price on box .....$1359.00... so about $1500 plus with tax...
i put it on layaway.total $1050.00... no tax on used gun...$1050.00.....................what do you guys think, good deal? have had a few kimbers, and always traded them off... i love springfield armory, and plan to keep this gun permanently... how does this gun rate compared to a kimber?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:54:39 AM EST
You got a awesome gun, with the one of the best warrantees in the business. Pat yourself on the back and enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:58:12 AM EST
Originally Posted By jets4321:
You got a awesome gun, with the one of the best warrantees in the business. Pat yourself on the back and enjoy.

i love it when i find a good like new used gun at this shop. no tax on a used gun, ( they pay the tax), so you can save a lot of money.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:16:50 AM EST
I used to have one and the TRP always seems to get high marks on the internet from owners. Im sure you'll like it more than the Kimbers.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:25:18 AM EST
Sounds like an excellant deal. A word of caution. My TRP nor any of my other three SAs, work reliably with Wilson magazines, and from reports on other 1911 forums, my experience is not unique. A lot of folks don't have any problems, but some do, and it would be a shame to shell out big bucks for magazines that don't work well. Of course, you could install $15 Tripp upgrade kits to the Wilsons, and then you'd have a $50 mag that might work as well as the factory Springfield magazines. All of my SAs work well with Springfield, Chip McCormick, Colt, no-name etc. If you should get the SA coupon with your pistol, the $9 coupon mags are an excellant value. Never had a problem with them in any of my 1911s.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:38:36 AM EST
My TRP works fine with Wilson mags. I just wish it was Armory Kote, not stainless. One day I'll get it refinished.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:58:11 AM EST
Good catch. I just shot CDP in IDPA yesterday for the first time and it ran like a champ. 400rds so far with out a hicup. When you get it enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:15:04 AM EST
Originally Posted By quantim2:
My TRP works fine with Wilson mags. I just wish it was Armory Kote, not stainless. One day I'll get it refinished.

Maybe not all of them but theres more than a few TRPs that wont run on Wilson mags. Its pretty common.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:56:04 AM EST
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. The TRP seems to be about the best you can get in the price range. I disposed of a Kimber to get my TRP. Best decision I could have made. (better decision would have been not to get the Kimber to begin with) Anyway, just to support a couple of comments already presented....TRP's and Wilson mags DO NOT LIKE EACH OTHER. Yeah, there's a few who will testify that they've had no issues with the combination, but there are MANY more (including myself) who have. I've talked to Wilson and they acknowledge it as well. It's the follower that's the problem. My issues were solved by installing Tripp Super 7 kits (new spring and follower, reduces to 7rds.) My TRP runs just fine with factory mags (and you should have TWO stainless mags with the original stuff). The Tripp Cobra mags are very impressive as well.

Now for the finish....I was actually considering a stainless TRP, but after seeing a few comments on the Armory Kote, I gave it a closer look. Well, I wound up going with the AK finish. It is one of the most awesome finishes I've personally had on a handgun. Should have named it "Black Hard as a Friggin' Diamond Kote". VERY nice, and might change your mind.

Bottom line....can't go wrong with Springfield or the TRP.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:36:00 PM EST
[original price on box .....$1359.00... so about $1500 plus with tax...

By my math thats a 10.4% sales tax. Do yourself a favor and GTFO of KY at once.... That kind of taxation is obscene.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:56:26 PM EST

A buddy of mine had an Armory Kote TRP and I think it really detracted from the gun.

I mean, it's paint. And it chipped in places.
On a $1,200 1911? I don't think so.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 1:00:11 PM EST
Still kicking myself in the ass for getting rid of mine

Congrats, I'm sure that you will love it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:49:16 PM EST
my armory cote has no problems in over 2years.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:26:30 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:51:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

A buddy of mine had an Armory Kote TRP and I think it really detracted from the gun.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:08:49 PM EST
Originally Posted By bullitt5172:

Hey, I'm just relating what I held in my hands.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 1:41:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/4/2009 4:14:49 AM EST by bullitt5172]

Hey, I'm just relating what I held in my hands.

Hey, I was just commenting you don't seem to know what you are talking about. Armory Kote isn't "paint" and is the same type of polymer coating as KG GunKote, Wilson's Armor-Tuff, Nighthawk's PermaKote etc - the same stuff that goes on a lot of $2k plus pistols....It's actually a plus on a $1200 pistol where most would be parkerized. It if was chipping there was an issue and should have went back to SA to fix. My experiece (as well as many others) is that Armory Kote is as good as any other polymer coating. Stainless guns are for BBQ's (IMO of course).
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 2:32:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/4/2009 2:40:39 AM EST by wildpower]
Hi
You should really love your TRP.
I have the Armory Kote TRP it's my carry.
When I first got mine a while ago I called the tech dept. at springfield on mag recommendations.

I was told that the Wilson EMT's or the Wilson 47D's are a very good choice for the TRPS.

I now have some of both and thousands of rds no problems what so ever.

It's like anything else clean your mag's every 2 or 3 thousand rds and they will be fine, keep the gun clean and lubricated!

By the way the Armory kote still looks new on my TRP and it has been holstered a lot, my son even dropped it on tar one day not a mark. It's plenty durable. Stainless is great also I just like the darker armory Kote for carry.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:00:16 AM EST
Originally Posted By knikshooter:

By my math thats a 10.4% sales tax. Do yourself a favor and GTFO of KY at once.... That kind of taxation is obscene.

KY sales tax is 6%.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:03:41 AM EST
Excellent pistol; I like it best among those at or around that price. Solid, reliable in my experience. Price sounds good.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:16:31 AM EST

Hey, I was just commenting you don't seem to know what you are talking about. Armory Kote isn't "paint" and is the same type of polymer coating as KG GunKote, Wilson's Armor-Tuff, Nighthawk's PermaKote etc - the same stuff that goes on a lot of $2k plus pistols....It's actually a plus on a $1200 pistol where most would be parkerized. It if was chipping there was an issue and should have went back to SA to fix. My experiece (as well as many others) is that Armory Kote is as good as any other polymer coating. Stainless guns are for BBQ's (IMO of course).

"Epoxy polymer" is geek-speak for paint.

Surface conversion finishes like Melonite or Tenifer would be a better finish, IMO, on a hard use gun.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:20:38 AM EST

Surface conversion finishes like Melonite or Tenifer would be a better finish, IMO, on a hard use gun.

Krylon is paint.

While I agree that Melonite and Tenifer might be better hard use coatings they are not readily available on the TRP nor on production 1911's in general. The polymer coatings are tough and will get the job done.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:31:56 AM EST
Originally Posted By knikshooter:

kentucky has a 6% sales tax.. i was just guesstamating the price
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:08:19 PM EST

Severns Hard Hat would be ideal.

Top Top