Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2004 5:53:40 PM EDT
I got two new 47DCB Wilson mags today that I ordered and they are great. Thanks to all those who helped me out with these. I shot them and they are wonderful, no problems shooting. I went home and cleaned my pistol and have a question. I put an empty wilson mag in and racked the slide.  And let me tell you that it is so damn hard to push that slide lock down, it's almost silly. I have to use both of my thumbs and push down with all my might, then it goes forward.  Then I racked the slide back and put in a loaded mag and pushed down on the slide lock. It went forward with almost no effort.  Is this supposed to be this way???  Why does it take so much effort if it's unloaded compared to no effort if it is loaded??  I'm confused, but is there a break-in time for these new mags??  My old Kimber mags don't require that much force.  Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The follower needs some break-in.  Just use them.

On a side note:  I am one of thos guy who thinks that dropping the slide on an empty chamber is a big no-no.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:11:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The follower needs some break-in.  Just use them.

On a side note:  I am one of thos guy who thinks that dropping the slide on an empty chamber is a big no-no.

Yeah seriously, if you have to do it, at least use snap caps.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe its hard because you are not supposed to do it?  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#7]
What you do is hit the slide release with your thumb on your right hand while pulling the slide to the rear with your left hand. You will notice that the tension is released on the the slide stop/release and you can let the slide go forward. Be sure to KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER, while doing this.  (Me, being a lefty, I do it reverse but use my index finger on my left hand.)

There are 2 trains of thought on letting the slide slam forward. Some old timers have told me that with 1911's you don't want to stage the recoil spring and that it's better let the slide close on it's own force, (once you've done the above) because the spring can bind/get tangled by you controling the slide. With newer guns that have full length recoil rods I don't know that is an issue anymore.

The other train of thought is that if you are handling someone else's gun, ie in a gunshop, etc., it's best to error on the side of caution and handle other peoples gun gently, and thus ride the slide closed after performing the above technique.

I think that shooting the gun has to be worse than letting it slam closed on an empty chamber.

However I do agree with what I think the other posters are saying, the slide stop/release is just an aid and should only be used when absolutely necessary. To clarify, when changing mags from slide be locked back empty, I find it's better to pull the slide to the rear and release it, thus letting the spring use it's full travel to close the slide on a new live round in a fresh magazine.

When my Kimber was 1st still breaking in I found that locking the slide back and then hitting the slide release to close the slide on a live round would cause the gun not chamber fully. Pulling the slide back and letting it go on it's own tension made it fully chamber the 1st round.

Well sorry for the long post.

Edit#2 What the guys are saying above is true, don't hit the slide release on a locked open, empty gun, with the magazine in place, to close the slide. Things like to wear when you do that. Once in awhile is fine, say if you are in a shooting competition but over and over is not good.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Of course it's harder to push down with an empty mag in place! The follower & mag spring are pushing up on it!

With a loaded mag in place, the follower is at the bottom of the mag & not touching the slide stop!

All 1911 mags work this way. What part don't you get?

PS: Why do you want to do that to begin with?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess I don't get it either...

If the magazine is empty it is time for it to be dropped out? Once dropped out you stick in a loaded one or ease the slide forward and drop the hammer. (Yes, I can drop the hammer.) Having an empty magazine in a weapon is dangerous.

MT
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't let slide go home on an empty chamber on any of my pistols, even my Glock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top