Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2005 8:16:59 PM EDT
Don't know much about them.  I shot my brother-in-laws G22 (he's LEO, they issued Glocks...sweet...)

after shooting his I realized it was time for me to get a pistol, so I chose Glock.  His had too much whip for me though, so I went with the 17.

My question is this.  I've had pistols on and off, almost all eastern-block milsurp toys.  Not guns you'd want to practice a lot with.  For some odd reason, I shoot left-handed with my handguns.  I'm right-handed, and I shoot my rifles right-handed.  But for some odd reason, I picked up my first pistol at a young age and my trigger hand is my left, and my right cups my left.  It feels natural, and I do good with it, but since most slide catches are on the left, I have to switch to my right hand to release the slide after reloading, then switch back to my left.  Not a big deal, but I plan on taking a tactical training course they have here for pistols, and it's fast paced, fast reloading, and this may be a problem.  So should I start learning how to shoot with my right hand and get used to it? Otherwise, my holster will be on my left, and my mags on the right when I take the course.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 11:29:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't change a thing.  If it feels natural, and you can shoot well with it, stick to it.

Most tactical training will tell you to wrack the slide, not push the release during reloads.

Link Posted: 3/10/2005 11:31:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Most tactical training will tell you to wrack the slide, not push the release during reloads.

I shoot lefty also and push the mag release with my left hand middle finger and wrack the slide to chamber a round.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 11:33:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 11:33:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Get some 33rd mags now, have fun..
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 11:42:05 PM EDT
[#5]
If you pop the mag into a glock that is locked back just right the slide drops.\
Bigidy bam it is good to go just like that.
It works for me every time.
It takes very little practice.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:46:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just use your right hand to sling shot the slide into battery on a fresh mag.

+1  Don't rely on the slide stop lever, you might miss it in a time of need.  Congrats on the 17.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
on the slide stop lever, you might miss it in a time of need.  Congrats on the 17.

yeah, I think I've watched to many gunfights on TV, the absolute worst place to learn gun handling.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
on the slide stop lever, you might miss it in a time of need.  Congrats on the 17.

yeah, I think I've watched to many gunfights on TV, the absolute worst place to learn gun handling.

But when James Bond never misses, you can always learn from the best.  Or maybe Rambo.  he's the man when it comes to handling massive firepower.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:57:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top