Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 4/23/2003 7:27:48 PM EDT
While in the process of finally getting started on one of my "round to-it's", I came across a couple of things that I'd like to get some feedback on.

#1. I was opening up the grip frame under the triggerguard for a "high grip" and discovered 2 internal voids at the intersection of the trigger guard and frontstrap. They are small and in what may not be in a structurally critical spot, but I am unsure. Has anyone come across this before?

#2. The finish is rough, can I strip the finish to get the machineing marks off? I (mis?)remember reading somewhere that alloy frames have a surface heat treatment that is lost when any grinding or polishing is done (like stoneing Dan Wesson triggers for a action job kills them).

#3. What can I use to fill in the voids and build up the frontstrap for finger grouves and can be sanded to prep the frame for painting (and any ideas for which paint (epoxy) holds up the best) here in our lovely South Floriga weather

The frame is made by R.M.T. (I think it went by the "Ranger" name) of El Monte, Ca. frame. I have some digital shots of the voids if that will help to access the problem.

Thanks,
Mike Mosher

Link Posted: 4/28/2003 12:23:48 AM EDT
Voids and inclusions are a common part of the casting process....sometimes they can become stress risers but think of all the cast Rugers out there that haven't broken...just keep an eye on it for a while...it should be ok...

I must admit to you this is one reason a lot of guys like only forged steel or billet aluminum ( or forged ) weapons. I tend to lean this way myself....but I also have a few guns with cast recievers that have worked well so far....

What you should fear more is cast operating parts like hammer struts, firing pins, extractors, etc....THOSE tend to break a lot more than receivers.

My opinion.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 3:42:26 AM EDT
Thanks, the shock of the inital discovery has worn off and I see it's in a fairly beefey part of the frame. What had bothered me was that it was so close to the trigger finger that if any type of major failure occured it could put a serious hurt on future shooting events for my second favorite finger:)
Thanks again,
Mike
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:00:56 AM EDT
I had a similiar situation with a friends federal ordinace frame, we started fixin it up and found a few voids, though not in the same area(in the dust cover and front strap)...our answer good old alum tig welding. I live in the alum boat capital of the world and fortunatly my good friend is a master welder he had the voids filled with a very very quick zizzzt. im sure it isnt the best answer because of heat treat etc but so far apx 1000 or so rounds its been ok
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:01:34 AM EDT
I have also uncovered voids in the process of working on cast receivers.

The way I'd fill them is to use one of those aluminum brazing rods that you see sometimes at gun shows. It may take a couple tries but you can usually effectively fill the voids with this material (though it seems to be harder than aluminum after it cools). Or, if the void is in a noncritical area you could use JB Weld; it will do an adequate job.

The "best" solution is to have it TIG welded, if you know someone who can do it for you.

Aluminum receivers are most often anodized to provide a hard surface. (more of a plating type process instead of a heat treatment process)

The layer is not very thick at all (about as thick as paint) so anything more than light polishing will almost certainly remove it. The receiver can be reanodized if necessary, and dyed to match the original color.

Short of reanodizing, the easiest way to finish aluminum is to use some sort of spray on coating. I like Norrell's moly resin. Brownell's also sells some products that would do an adequate job.

Regular epoxy paint isn't something I would recommend (including Brownell's AlumaHydeII) because it galls somewhat on sliding surfaces.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:58:25 PM EDT
Thank's for the helpfull info, the frame was shelved to finish the "Shorty" AR/CAR-15/XM-177 or whatever they call them now, that I also had sitting on the backburner. The Norrell molyresin looks like I can kill two birds with 1 stone.
Mike
Top Top