Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/8/2005 11:55:28 AM EDT
I have two Kimbers with the external extractor and love them. Just curious since I've never had one with an internal extractor, do they break much. I know they are the original design, but was just wondering if they will needed to be replaced after an X number of rounds through the gun. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:59:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:37:36 PM EDT
Kimber had some difficulty with their internal extractors for a while. In general, though, internal extractors are great. FWIW, I will never own a 1911 with an external extractor.

Be well!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:56:05 PM EDT
There's a whole lot of confusion regarding extractors-

Extractor tension is very important to FEEDING reliability. Many frustrated 1911 owners have a hard time realizing that their gun's feeding problems can be cured by fixing the extractor tension.

An internal extractor is essentially like a leaf spring, and if it's not made of tempered high carbon steel it can quickly lose tension.

You can imagine the extra cost of making extractors this way.

The external design uses a coil spring for tension, which means a cheap investment casting or MIM part can be used for the extractor hook. Now do you see why it's becoming popular?

The external will not need to be checked for tension as often as the standard internal design. But, if your internal extractor is a quality part, and if you check it periodically, you'll have no problem.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:03:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dubb-1:
Kimber had some difficulty with their internal extractors for a while. In general, though, internal extractors are great. FWIW, I will never own a 1911 with an external extractor.

Be well!

Probably because they were MIM. Tool steel extractors like Wilson Hard Core or Ed Brown will last a long time. I'm not too fond of cast extractors either. This is an important part you don't want breaking in a gunfight.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:12:37 PM EDT
My instructor at Gunsite and the gunsmith (Corey Trapp) have seen the external extractors on Kimbers fly off several times so far. Wich sucks, cause thats what I have. Works fine for me though.
Top Top