Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 6/18/2008 1:41:22 PM EST
took my old model p95 out today and shot about 150rnds and while taking it apart to clean it noticed the captive spring guide rod was missing it's retainer. i have the plastic recoil spring collar. looks like i need just a small o ring.

any place to get this other than ruger?

thanks
2D2C
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 12:25:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By 2DARK2C:
took my old model p95 out today and shot about 150rnds and while taking it apart to clean it noticed the captive spring guide rod was missing it's retainer. i have the plastic recoil spring collar. looks like i need just a small o ring.

thanks
2D2C

I contacted Ruger for the clip that holds the collar on my early P95 and said just send it, i will pay the bill, and they sent me a clip, AND an entire assembled spring/guide rod assembly, free of charge
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 4:55:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By dave89iroc:

thanks
2D2C

I contacted Ruger for the clip that holds the collar on my early P95 and said just send it, i will pay the bill, and they sent me a clip, AND an entire assembled spring/guide rod assembly, free of charge

Same thing happened to me. They were most helpful. And the gun will still function just fine without the collar and retainer. It just makes disassembly and reassembly a bit more interesting.
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 2:04:03 PM EST
my better half called ruger for me today and they said they would send some out to me.

in the meantime i had orded 3 sets from brownells and they arrived over the weekend. so i will have spares.

thanks for the replies, this must be very common on the captive spring model p95's. i know i was doing some around the clock shooting for reliability testing. i bet that is what caused the failure.

2D2C
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 2:29:34 AM EST

thanks for the replies, this must be very common on the captive spring model p95's. i know i was doing some around the clock shooting for reliability testing. i bet that is what caused the failure.

2D2C

I doubt it has to do with number of rounds. Mine did it at under 2k rounds.
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 2:37:34 PM EST

roger that. i bet my round count is right under 500. by around the clock i meant holding the gun at all angles ,and even directly upside down, while firing. in an ideal world when you need to shoot someone your pistol will always be in perfect vertical plane, but you never know if your gun goes bang upside down till you try

2D2C
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 3:55:54 PM EST

roger that. i bet my round count is right under 500. by around the clock i meant holding the gun at all angles ,and even directly upside down, while firing. in an ideal world when you need to shoot someone your pistol will always be in perfect vertical plane, but you never know if your gun goes bang upside down till you try

2D2C

Unless a mag feeds from the top with nothing but gravity, a gun doesn't care what its orientation. But if you mean upside down as in pinky on the trigger then that is a different story and really an issue of limp wristing and maybe slicing your wrist on the slide rails.
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 5:06:56 PM EST
yup upside down, but i fired with my middle finger in a very odd yet sturdy two handed hold. i did the same with a p94 and it fired aswell ,it just put strong rub marks on the guide rod.

2D2C
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 8:03:34 PM EST
well, I have to call Ruger again, mine disappeared once again, i'll have to see if i can get a couple extra this time
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 4:16:43 PM EST
were you pushing your pistol hard? or just plinking? it makes me nervious to have a pistol that loses parts.

i just thought mine was a freak 'cause i was being a little rough. rapid fire, many angles, inverted , etc. but if it's gonna continue i'll drop it and pick up an old p89 or something different.

2D2C
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:07:46 PM EST

were you pushing your pistol hard? or just plinking? it makes me nervious to have a pistol that loses parts.

i just thought mine was a freak 'cause i was being a little rough. rapid fire, many angles, inverted , etc. but if it's gonna continue i'll drop it and pick up an old p89 or something different.

2D2C

plinking, mostly rapid fire though

still need to contact ruger
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:38:47 PM EST
i wonder just how many p95's lose this retainer? 3 people just in this post!!!! i just traded my p94 before this happened. i always choose wrong

2D2C
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 2:54:54 PM EST

i wonder just how many p95's lose this retainer? 3 people just in this post!!!! i just traded my p94 before this happened. i always choose wrong

2D2C

It's one of those things that happen, it's happened twice on me with glock(one plastic guide rod the other one steel). Trounced the problem and bought a non-captive with recoil spring.I don't notice any difference in recoil. IMHO the only good thing about captive recoil springs is they're easier to install when reassembling the gun.
Top Top