Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/16/2006 11:32:34 PM EDT
Hello room, I have had this 1911 for about two years an I want to shoot IDPA with it after I get home from iraq(63bravo,us army), I love the gun but I want it in top fashion for matches, what can i do to this already nice weapon to make it a real nail driver, mind you I am working with a used Springfield mil-spec full sized 1911, whats parts to order , since i already know a good gun smith to install them and tune it. thanks for your help hooah, god bless
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:07:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:21:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 5:21:53 AM EDT by cmeyer001]
I agree with ikor, however , depending on your hand size, I might recommended a beavertail grip safety.

I have large hands and with a tight, high grip on the pistol the skin in the web of my hands rides
up over the back of the GI safety. Fire the weapon and the hammer spur takes a nice chunk out.

And in IDPA, when your hurrying, you may miss getting your hand out of the way. A Beavertail grip safety will prevent this.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:11:19 PM EDT
Have been playing the action pistol games since the early 80s......I agree with both posts above..except go with Wilson 8 round mags.

IDPA is a slower game than IPSC. Good sights, a beavertail safety and a trigger job are best. Have the feed ramp polished by someone who really knows how, look at getting the ejection port flared and lowered too.

VERY IMPORTANT.....get a decent holster and mag carriers (I prefer Blade Tech) and a solid belt that fits you as well as the holster & mag carriers. I recommend an instructor belt from Wilderness products.

I can't tell you how many guys show up at a match with a skinny dress belt and nylon gear. It frustrates the heck out of them all day.

My 2 cents. Good luck! Get home safe and enjoy IDPA!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:17:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 9:05:11 PM EDT by Combat_Jack]
You really only need sights and a beavertail. A new mainspring housing might be nice as well. If the pistol is not accurate enough, get the barrel crowned and a tighter bushing- keep the barrel for a while.

Most pistols outshoot the user. When someone says that one pistol is more accurate than another, its usually because the ergonomics and controls fit the user better and allow for better shooting.
Top Top