Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2010 9:05:23 AM EDT
DAMNIT!!!!

I just tried to create my first holster for my M&P9c, but the frekin kydex didnt mold enough to the gun, so there is absolutely no retention. I have tried to make a ar15 mag pouch, and a handgun mag pouch. But just like the handgun holster, there was NO retention in it.

Whats the trick to this?

Here is my retarded(possibly why there is no retention) method:

1- cut and trim kydex to make the outline of the holster
2- drill holes, and rivet the 2 pieces of kydex together
3- heat the kydex pieces(already rivited together) at *275 for 10mins in oven
4- place inbetween a camping sleeping pad, and place 4 cinder blocks on the top

I really dont want to buy a press, but if that is what i need(most likely i do), then i guess i will drop some money on one.

does anyone have another homemade redimy that does not involve using a real press?
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 9:14:17 AM EDT
[#1]
you need to mold the kydex to the gun before you cut and rivet it

and you need to get some foam for a press sleeping bag wont work.  I am having trouble finding the correct foam as mine is to dense and I am not getting the level of molding I would like.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#2]
what exactly is the process of molding the kydex before you drill/rivet them together?

it just seems like it would be hard to keep the 2 kydex pieces together to create a mold.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Definately need to mold then rivet. You might also try to heat the kydex for longer. (Don't turn the heat up, just leave it in another 2 minutes.)

If you are using sleeping mat foam, use 2-3 layers of it top and bottom. In fact, consider cutting a piece to sit in front of the trigger and under the dust cover and placing that on top of your the first layer on top of the gun.

I would also suggest that the cinderblocks set on top isn't a bad idea, but more important is getting a lot of pressure quickly.

I would suggest taking 2 peices of foam, and gluing them together. Then take two more pieces, plus the smaller piece for the area in front of the trigger, and sandwich the smaller piece between the other two, all glued together. Glue this to a board. Then put your Kydex/gun sandwich between these two peices of foam, and sit/lie on it for 5 minutes. Then if you need to, throw the cinder blocks on top.

I'm not very good at explaining. Let me know if I need to use MS Paint.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
what exactly is the process of molding the kydex before you drill/rivet them together?

it just seems like it would be hard to keep the 2 kydex pieces together to create a mold.

Keep it a bit bigger than you need, so that it doesn't matter if it lines up perfect. Once it's all rivetted, then cut it out. Sand it to the final shape with medium grit, then wet sand the edges with 400 grit or better, if you like.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 10:05:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Definately need to mold then rivet. You might also try to heat the kydex for longer. (Don't turn the heat up, just leave it in another 2 minutes.)

If you are using sleeping mat foam, use 2-3 layers of it top and bottom. In fact, consider cutting a piece to sit in front of the trigger and under the dust cover and placing that on top of your the first layer on top of the gun.

I would also suggest that the cinderblocks set on top isn't a bad idea, but more important is getting a lot of pressure quickly.

I would suggest taking 2 peices of foam, and gluing them together. Then take two more pieces, plus the smaller piece for the area in front of the trigger, and sandwich the smaller piece between the other two, all glued together. Glue this to a board. Then put your Kydex/gun sandwich between these two peices of foam, and sit/lie on it for 5 minutes. Then if you need to, throw the cinder blocks on top.

I'm not very good at explaining. Let me know if I need to use MS Paint.

awesome help rooster! thanks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Make a press, just google kydex foam press and you should get the info.

Here is a great site for materials and the foam you want.

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=41&osCsid=06b2a75217e376b9b80ceb49f1ced440
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#7]
You don't have to get elaborate with your press.  I haven't done kydex holsters yet, but for knife sheaths, I use camping pad (two layers on each side), two pieces of plywood, and a bench vise.  Saw a pic somewhere where someone else used the same camping pad and plywood but sandwiched it all between a floor jack and the receiver hitch on his truck.  Whatever gets the job done, but a few cinder blocks sitting on top of it isn't going to be enough pressure.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Make a press, just google kydex foam press and you should get the info.

Here is a great site for materials and the foam you want.

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=41&osCsid=06b2a75217e376b9b80ceb49f1ced440

I didn't see this material last time I ordered. I just ordered some. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Some tips I've learned through trial and error over the last few months:

The others on here are right. Press first then rivet. Use a big piece of kydex.
After using the press use a heat gun (on low and be careful not to burn kydex) and mold with your thumbs the places that you want more definition or retention.
For mag holders take the mag out after the press and use heat gun to squish the kydex down just a little tighter than you would be able to with mag in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top