Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2003 10:45:08 AM EDT
Thompson Center, Bond and a few others make handguns chambered for .45/.410.  I thought shotgun barrels had to be over 18 inches.  If this is legitamate howcome no one makes a 20 or 12 gauge derringer or Encore pistol barrel?
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, I guess it's a matter of when does a pistol because a shotgun or a shotgun a pistol, or a rifle a pistol, etc, etc.

Does an M4 with a 9mm upper become a pistol?  Well, it's shooting 9mm, a pistol round, but obviously we all know it falls within the restraints of being a rifle (barrel length, etc).  Well, what makes the difference between a pistol and a rifle, such as (now) Bushmasters Carbon/Corbon 15 'pistols' (that are essentially ARs in pistol form).  Those are 'pistols' but function very much like a rifle.  the answer?

Umm.. me?   My 'guess' is that if it meets the pistol requirements (is small enough, operates like 'standard pistols'??), in terms of size, then it is a pistol, regardless of round fired.

Magnum Research, known for their Desert Eagle series of pistols, makes a (single shot) Lone Eagle, which fires a .223.
=)
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Some Derringer's are offered in .410
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thunder 5!

Super-tactical-shotty-pistol

CHRIS
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:26:05 PM EDT
[#6]
So do you think it would be legal to have a ten inch 12 gauge barrel on a TC Encore frame that is registered as a hand gun?
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Handguns must have rifled barrels. All those you mentioned would have rifled barrels. If smooth bore they become NFA weapons called AOWs. If over 50caliber as handguns they become Destructive Devices so your 12ga Encore is out. You could always register an Encore as a short rifle or AOW.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 5:53:12 AM EDT
[#8]
That is exactly what I was looking for.  I totaly overlooked the 1/2 inch bore restriction.  Thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top