Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 11:53:54 AM EDT
hello

I seem to be having a problem but it may not be a problem at all but just the way the 1911 works. I seem to have the same issue with all 3 of my 1911s,.One kimber CDP and 2 springfeilds, a TRP and a milspec. They each have thousands of rounds through them.

I have worked on them but never done anything realy drastic except to change out the springs to wolf.

I seem to be experinencing a situation with hammer follow but It does not seem to be that big of a problem. I had never had a issue on the range but when I was doing a function test I discoverd it.

I explain the situation here.

1. if I hold the trigger all the way back and rack the slide then the hammer does stay locked back.

2. If I hold the trigger half way or sloppely grasp the trigger with a strong grip it then gets hammer follow. Now it does not hit the firing pin but it does drop down to the half cock notch. Does this seem like that this is a problem?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Trigger is too heavy with the spring tension set too light on the trigger bar/disco.

Lock the slide back, and hit the slide lock without touching the grip safety,  hammer should stay cocked. If the hammer falls, then the sear tension is set too light (left tab looking into the back of the pistol)

Now do the same, but this time depress the grip safety with your hand, but do not touch the trigger.  If the hammer is released on impact, then the spring tension (middle tab) on the trigger rear bar is too light, and the trigger is moving reaward with the recoil, hence trigger bounce/pulling it's self.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#3]
ok thanks

I think I know what happend, I took to much tension out on the sear springs so I could get a lighter trigger pull.   I put it back the way it was and now seems to function the way it should.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
ok thanks

I think I know what happend, I took to much tension out on the sear springs so I could get a lighter trigger pull.   I put it back the way it was and now seems to function the way it should.  

Now you know why they make lightened triggers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top