Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 8/14/2004 4:20:28 PM EDT
You know how if you pull the DA trigger on a USP the hammer will "half-cock" .  Is this what people call a two stage trigger ?  Do you see any signifigant benefit to it?  Is it just as safe to carry "half-cocked" with the safety off  as with the the hammer down and safety off?  Personally it doesn't seem to help me get my first shot off any faster, but I'm guessing that is what it's for, eh?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Half-cock is designed to prevent an AD if one is cocking the hammer & it slips before it's set in the full cock position. Some use it to rest the firing pin spring, some use it for a bit easier DA pull. To each his own.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Do you carry "half-cocked"?

Negative. I carry cocked & locked. Perhaps I should add, for the USP pistol, I run with a 5,6 detent(s) for this purpose.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
When I carried my USP40C Variant 1 I carried it hammer down, safety engaged, round in the chamber.

Ditto for my USP45F and USP9C.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I've recently realized that I'm an idiot.  Half-cock is hammer down( de-cocked).  The only way to get a true hammer down on a USP is to fire on an empty chamber or lower the hammer manually.  This makes me think that the gun was probably designed to be carried this way .  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, it can be carried that way.  However, I carry mine with the hammer back, a round in, and the safety on.  Of course, the nice thing about my Galco shoulder rig is that the snap goes right where the hammer would need to fall when the hammer's back.  It doesn't allow me to carry it decocked (what you were calling half-cocked).  However, when I carry on my hip, I do frequently carry it chambered, safe, and decocked.  Situational awareness for somebody carrying a firearm SHOULD be good enough to thumb the hammer back while it's still in that holster, or at least it always has been for me.  Thank you God, for Arizona concealed carry!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yeah, it can be carried that way.  However, I carry mine with the hammer back, a round in, and the safety on.  Of course, the nice thing about my Galco shoulder rig is that the snap goes right where the hammer would need to fall when the hammer's back.  It doesn't allow me to carry it decocked (what you were calling half-cocked).  However, when I carry on my hip, I do frequently carry it chambered, safe, and decocked.  Situational awareness for somebody carrying a firearm SHOULD be good enough to thumb the hammer back while it's still in that holster, or at least it always has been for me.  Thank you God, for Arizona concealed carry!

Out of curiosity, are you using a standard variant 1 or 2 for this sidearm?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When I carried my USP40C Variant 1 I carried it hammer down, safety engaged, round in the chamber.

Ditto for my USP45F and USP9C.

+1 for my usp 9
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1    same here in USP45F
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry my "half-cocked" with the safety off.  As much as I would love to carry it "cocked and locked", i feel the extra step to hit the safety with your thumb in a tense situation could lead to a mishap.  Now, all you do is draw and fire.  Just gotta get use to the heavy 1st pull and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#11]
USP 9mm fullsize, condition one. Release the safety, same trigger pull. It becomes muscle memory and builds consistency.

In a gunfight, its not the first shot Im worried about, it's the second. If I'm carrying DA/SA I worry that my second shot is going to be inadvertant or off target because of the lighter trigger pull after the very heavy first.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top