Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2006 7:57:22 PM EDT
earlier this year my grandmother died. she was a very peculiar woman, and she had a horde of old stuff in her attic that she forbid anyone from seeing. she died this year, and we went through the attic and i found a metal box with some of granddads papers. its mostly banking records and mail, but there are some letters and other things. none of it is dated later than 1962.

mom was born in 63, and she never remembered anyone going into the attic her whole life. i suspect that box had not been opened since the early 60s. okay, heres the interesting part.

the box contained a quantity of .45 ACP ammunition, most of it headstamped "WCC 41" and "WCC 42". it appears to be wartime manufacture stuff that he got while fighting in the south pacific during WW2. there is also a 1911 magazine that is not marked. it also appears to be USGI, as it is matte blued and has no ID marks whatsoever. it was loaded with the ammo mentioned above. i never found the 1911 that it went to. does this ammo and mag have any collectors value or any significant value at all? thyanks for your input.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Somewhere there's a US Property 1911 calling for it's long lost magazine

I don't think that there is much value in the ammo or the mag, but someone more in the know will come along shortly and tell you.

Bump.

Link Posted: 8/26/2006 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#2]
If the mag is two tone in color, with the top half being lighter in color than the lower half, then it might have some collector value.

Does the mag have a half loop on the bottom?
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If the mag is two tone in color, with the top half being lighter in color than the lower half, then it might have some collector value.

Does the mag have a half loop on the bottom?

no loop and its all one color.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Really not much value on the old ammo unless it's still boxed and in perfect condition. I've got RA .45 from 42 also. The mag, depending on the manufacturer, will be worth 15 to $20 IF it is original, and of a make that someone is looking for. Maker is marked [usually] on the top of the protruding lip on the baseplate. There will be one two or three initials there telling you the manufacturer. If someone has a USGI .45 and needs a particuler mag to make it complete then it'll sell pretty good if it's in good shape. If it's not marked then It COULD be a RIA as I've got a few that are identical and only one is marked. The grind marks on the baseplate are identical and they all came from someone who received then all at the same time while in. [NOT WW2, Korea]

BTW, the ammo will still probably shoot fine if you so desire but it IS corrosive [primers] and will eat up your BBL if you do not clean it properly. Thats why so many USGI BBLs from that era are so so and pitted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top