Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2006 11:33:39 PM EDT
I have a chance to pick up a ruger super blackhawk in .44 mag tom. it is blued and he said 9 inch barrel but I am not sure. I did a little research and I believe it is a 71/2 or 101/2 barrel. anyways it is supposed to be real nice and price is 200.00. basically i would buy it to turn it, but not if it only worth 250.00. if it is a 350.00-400.00 revolver, then it is worth my time and investment. input?????????????

mike
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:54:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Nah, only worth about $175.  Just send me his name and contact info and I'll make sure you don't have to worry about it any more....  

Seriously, new ones go for around $439 - $479 or so.  Getting $350 out of it should be no problem.

Woody
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:59:21 PM EDT
[#2]
They kick way too much for you guys. Buy a Glock 17 and send the guy's info to me.

Like I need another 44 (8 now).
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Well here it is. $200.00 . It was slightly neglected but has found a good home. It is resting in a coat of CLP and recuperating.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#4]
That's an old model.  It is has collector value.  Does it have the retrofit transfer bar?  If you're not going to carry it in a loaded condition don't have the transfer bar installed as it will affect the value.  Ruger will install the parts for free and return the original parts.  However they stamp the inside of the frame so if you put the original parts back in and accidently shoot yourself they can prove you took the transfer bar out thus eliminating their liability.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been on the net since getting it today trying to find out what I can. It was born in 1971 and appears to not have the conversion done. the hammer looks like the non converted style but I really do not know how to tell.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#6]
When you cock the hammer, if a flat bar covers the firing pin it has the conversion done.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#7]
no conversion done. good, just that much better
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice find. It appears to be a very low mileage 3 screw SBH. Do you have the original box and papers?
Go Here www.rugerforum.com you can find what your looking for.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#9]
no box or papers. but this is a keeper. i had no idea it was 34 years old until i started researching it a bit. bluing is not excellent but i will not reblue it so value will not go down. i like this SBH the more i handle it. thanks for the link, that is where i ended up at 3 a.m. this morning! lol.

mike
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#10]
From your photo there doesn't appear to be much of a drag line between the bolt notches, is there any wear at the front edge of the ejector rod houseing? Your revolver will have the steel gripframe, the steel ejector rod houseing and a recessed cylinder. These are very nice revolvers.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#11]
the housing almost looks like aluminum. i think on the ruger site when i was looking at the parts schematic and parts list, it showed the housing on the long barrel as being aluminum? i could be wrong but it would make sense for weight issues maybe. or it is steel and i am wrong. there is wear. this is only about 90-93% bluing. it has bee fired but is really nice for the age i think
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top