Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2008 3:07:54 PM EDT
well I am trading one of my glocks for a springfield mil spec with a ncg supergas conversion kit, from here on the EE.  cant wait to try it out, i hear a mixture of reviews about the conversion.  what does everyone thing.  i know it takes away from how John made them but functionality and reliability  is better right?  anyone here have experience with with one?  any help would be appreciated  thanks
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]
i will let you know how this example works when i get it. hopefully it will be a good experience.  if not i might just skip the 1911 and go strait for a Hi Power 40 if i can handle the bite, lol  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:04:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i will let you know how this example works when i get it. hopefully it will be a good experience.  if not i might just skip the 1911 and go strait for a Hi Power 40 if i can handle the bite, lol  

Don't let an abomination of a 1911 turn you off to the design.

Plenty of well built reliable 1911's out there.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#4]
you call it a abomination, but why?   isn't it just a other mod for a great gun. todays 1911 have came a long way i see. is this conversion really that bad.  this guy got it off of said he putt 300 rounds thru it without a hiccup since he had it, and he's got great feedback.   is it a bad gun or is it just not considered a 1911 in truest form?  i just dont know but thanks for the opinion i know i will own a few 1911 down the road  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
you call it a abomination, but why?   isn't it just a other mod for a great gun. todays 1911 have came a long way i see. is this conversion really that bad.  this guy got it off of said he putt 300 rounds thru it without a hiccup since he had it, and he's got great feedback.   is it a bad gun or is it just not considered a 1911 in truest form?  i just dont know but thanks for the opinion i know i will own a few 1911 down the road  

if the gun with conversion doesn't work- try shooting a friends 1911 before you make the final judgement on one.  I shot a bad example of one, and it turned me off 1911's (auto ordinance with what felt like a 6lb spring, i kid you not.  after pulling the slide on a dealer's springfield 1911, the strange recoil and the 'slide slam' i recalled seem to make sense). after picking up and merely holding ag ood 1911 i loved it. the only reason it won't be my first gun? because the HK45 fits my hand better. only reason why. i'll eventually own a 1911 though, i'm sure of it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:35:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

300 rounds isn't that much.  Not to discount that experience, but that hardly breaks the surface of what most would consider a test of reliability.

Keep in mind the MEU (SOC) 1911's have a service life of around 30k rounds (with routine maintenance around 8-10k).  They are examples of custom tuned 1911's.  There are more than a handful (like a lot) of competition guns that have seen much higher round counts.

The original design works.  Mucking around with it with little parts is one thing, but changing the entire design is asking for trouble.  The NCG seems like, and I hate to sound cliche, a solution in search of a problem.

I think a standard mil-spec would serve you much better.  Believe me, the 1911 is hardly the "bone breaker" that people like to say it is in terms of recoil.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:23:39 AM EDT
[#8]
i have shot a 1911 befor   i know it doesnt recoil that bad its allot more controllable.  i am sure it wont be my last 1911
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:20:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:44:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So a guy on the EE is trying to unload a gun that about everyone is telling you seems to be problematic. Suspect.

1+1 =

Yup.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:33:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Well good luck and I hope it works.

If not I predict it will be a tough resale.

My math leads me to $1000-1100 for the gun + conversion. If your getting it for so little you should be wondering why.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top