Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2007 5:09:23 PM EDT
I'm looking into buying a sub compact carry gun.  I have a CZ 75B, a Kimber Pro Carry 1911...neither of which are compact, or light, etc.  

I'm not too familiar with all the different Glocks, but clearly lots of people like them.  I am more familiar with the Springfield XD line and have been looking at a XD9 sub compact.

Looking for input on a carry gun...preferably polymer.  I'd even consider a KelTec.

Input?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you considered a Kahr, very nice accurate pistols.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#2]
glock for sure.

the XD's are quite top heavy, especially with the subcompact models. don't balance very well if you ask me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Pfft, you're really asking this question on ARFCOM?!

Buy both!  Duh!  

Seriously though, I echo everyone else in that you should shoot both and buy whatever works best for you.  I carry a Glock 19, but I really like XDs too and plan on buying one sooner or later.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Have you considered a Kahr, very nice accurate pistols.

no...do tell
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Kahrs are very slim single stacks.  Mags are a bit more than XD's or Glocks.
I say go with the Glock.  XD is a bit heavier to me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:43:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a PM9 -9mm, they come with match grade barrels, really small polymer frame, light weight, did I say accurate, excellent carry gun, worth your look. What you want is an accurate gun that fits your hand and is easily concealed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Pick it up and choose what feels better.

As my instructor says - grasp the weapon and turn your head or close your eyes, then instinctively point at a target. Then open your eyes / turn your head and look. Whatever gun is closest to your natural point of aim is usually the one you work with best.

You can't go wrong with either one.  A lot of people are liking the new S&W M&P, too.

IIRC extra Glock mags are cheaper.

+1
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Absolutely love my tiny XD-40.  I'm accurate with it and it hides very easily for a higher powered gun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry the 9mm sub compact as my backup.

I own a few XDs.

Great choice for a carry gun!
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You can't go wrong with either one.  A lot of people are liking the new S&W M&P, too.

+1

personally, i'd opt for the glock

cheaper, easier to find parts and accessories, less parts
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#12]
So what should I pay for a Glock 26 then?  I see them going on gunbroker for anywhere from $440 - $500+.  My goal is to not spend more than $450, otherwise, I will probably wait a bit to buy anything.  Maybe I'm being unrealistic.  I haven't even priced them in a local gunshop - ever.  

Is it taboo to negotiate price at a gun shop ?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#13]
An added bonus for the Glock, for fun (or  ccw reload):

G18 mags:

For $23 I'd stock up.  I have two of them and I don't even have a 9mm Glock.

Quoted:
I carry the 9mm sub compact as my backup.

I own a few XDs.

Great choice for a carry gun!

I would have never guess you carry an XD as a back up gun.

Hmm.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I think there was a semi-long Poll/thread on this subject recently.

Some good opinions in it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Shoot both, buy the one you like best.

I have a Glock 23, had it for years.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Being as I'm not a team member *yet* it makes it hard to do a decent search
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Being as I'm not a team member *yet* it makes it hard to do a decent search

don't feel bad, I just ran a search for it and was going to bump it for you to see and I couldn't find it.

My opinion, I like the XD.  I have an XD40 with extra 9 barrell.

Glock does not feel right in my hand.  Doesn't make it bad, just bad for me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Personally, I prefer Glocks. However, as someone else already said, you should shoot both and then decide, it's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#20]
well besides how it feels in my hand, I was wondering what people felt were the pro's and con's etc.  I can research how much they are going for on the net, but I haven't priced them at the only couple gun shops around here and "hope" that they aren't significantly higher.  I don't want to have to deal with shipping and doing a transfer on a handgun right now.  Since I live in MO, we have a PTA (permit to acquire) and I have one that expires in 10 days lol.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I got my XD9 mags for $18 apiece...so YMMV.

And I would go with the Glock.  While I like the XD and its great, I like the fingered grooves on the Glock better than the straight side of the XD.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I prefer Glock as well, and my Glock 19 over my other three. I've shot an XD, nice gun, but I prefer the ergonomics and low bore axis of the Glock.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I would go with the Glock.  While I like the XD and its great, I like the fingered grooves on the Glock better than the straight side of the XD.

that is a good point.  If the glock fits your hand I believe the glock mags are cheaper.

xd mags are a bit pricey.

Personally I think they are very close in terms of reliability with good ammo and mags
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
well besides how it feels in my hand, I was wondering what people felt were the pro's and con's etc.  I can research how much they are going for on the net, but I haven't priced them at the only couple gun shops around here and "hope" that they aren't significantly higher.  I don't want to have to deal with shipping and doing a transfer on a handgun right now.  Since I live in MO, we have a PTA (permit to acquire) and I have one that expires in 10 days lol.

I had a XD tactical and a XD sub. After taking several handgunning classes, I ended up swapping out for a Glock 17, and later a 19 for CCW. I found the Glocks to be easier to work on (complete detail stripping takes ~3 minutes), parts easier to get (springfield won't send the end user replacement parts) and the finish to be far more durable. The weapon itself is almost impossible to break.

The grip safety on the XD also has to be fully depressed to manipulate the slide. This was a hinderance in one handed drills at an advanced class. I also understand that the grip safety issue can be a failure point, rendering the weapon unusable. I don't recall the details of the malfunction, but a smith mentioned seeing one with a live round in the chamber, where it could neither be fired nor cleared.

All in all, I prefer Glocks. The proof is in how each fits you though. One thing I love about taking classes is the chance to try other's gear. If you happen to be in WI / IL / MN, you're welcome to come out to a Defensive Edge class. There's always a selection of stuf to try out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the offer.  I'm in Missouri.  I don't have my CCW yet, but plan on taking the class as soon as work slows down and I have that thing called "personal time" again.  I guess I'd have the opportunity to try a variety when that time comes.

Maybe I'll go to the funshop tomorrow and fondle a Glock.  I have put ergo grips on all my handguns, so I'm thinking I'll prefer the finger grooves on the Glocks.  Hoping to get one less than $450 new...we'll see.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Both good guns it's about what feels best for you. I carry a G33 and would'nt have it any other way. I had an XD just was'nt for me, great shooting gun BTW but prefer Glocks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#27]
XD 3'' .40 FTW!!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I have narrowed my search for a polymer 9mm to the XD and Glock as well.

I will hold them and point them both and decide then, I'd suggest you just go with which one feels better as well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I am trying to keep it a 9mm because I don't want to have to stock 3 handgun calibers of ammo.  I have 9mm and .45 acp right now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#30]
are you dead set on a compact?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Well I'd prefer it.  I already have a full size CZ 75B and a 1911 and don't see myself carrying either of those...so...
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#32]
XD, just got mine and I couldnt be happier.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I'd prefer it.  I already have a full size CZ 75B and a 1911 and don't see myself carrying either of those...so...

I only ask because as I was recently shopping for 9mms I was impressed by the new beretta P series.  They seem like they would conceal well without going all the way compact.

I didn't buy one, I bought 2 92FS
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that is a good point.  If the glock fits your hand I believe the glock mags are cheaper.

xd mags are a bit pricey.

Personally I think they are very close in terms of reliability with good ammo and mags

I agree as well.  

When we looked for Glock 17 mags for my buddy, they were all $18-25 range.  So for me, they're about the same.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Glock mags are $15.99 all day long at OMB Express.

Except of course the G18 mags... those are $23.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Glock mags are $15.99 all day long at OMB Express.

Except of course the G18 mags... those are $23.

Awesome, I'll have to bookmark that site for my buddy.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Springfield's new Micro Pistol (EMP) is featured in full size on the cover of the April "American Rifleman." It won an award at the NRA Convention.

I laughed, because I took out my olde Star Firestar M-43, 9mm and put it on top of the magazine picture, and it was the same size!

Everything old is "new" again!

The 9mm Firestar M-43 is a hammer fired, single action pistol with frame mounted, ambidextrous safety lever

"American Rifleman" touted the light weight, but the 90's steel frame Firestar only weighs ~6oz more.

You might say the Firestar is heavy, but the solid steel construction makes these guns extremely sturdy and reliable, and additional weight greatly improves recoil control and makes the shooting quite comfortable, despite the powerful ammunition and small size of the guns.

Firestar pistols are recoil operated, with Browning cam locking and short barrel recoil. Barrel muzzle is externally cone-shaped to achieve the best fit into the slide for improved accuracy.

For the $1200 Springfield said they wanted for the pistol at the convention I'll be keepin' the (slightly heavier) Firestar!

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:05:58 AM EDT
[#38]
I love my G19 and my 9mm SC XD. Either one is a fantastic pistol. For me the SC Glocks do not do it for me but my 9mm XD SC when I gaot the pinky extention on the 10rd mag made it a great comfortable grip. It has been suprising how much the little SC has grown on me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:16:08 AM EDT
[#39]
If the glock fit my hand I would have one for sure but the grip angle isnt for me. I suggest you try before you buy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:55:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Haven't handled the XD's mainly because there are no pre-ban mags available (a requirement for normal capacity mags in my commie State).  I picked up a used G26 not too long ago with the intention of using it as my CCW.  While it is a nice enough pistol I find it harder to conceal than my Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry due to its wide slide and grip.  The double stack mags add a good deal of bulk to the width of the pistol.  Trying to carry IWB makes me look like I have a tumor on my right side.  I find carrying it at the 2 O'clock position helps but this limits access to the pistol particularly when seated in a vehicle.  As a result, I went back to my tried and true Kimber in a Sparks VMII holster for most concealed carry.  I will likely make the Glock my wife's bedside gun due to it's simplicity of operation.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had a XD tactical and a XD sub. After taking several handgunning classes, I ended up swapping out for a Glock 17, and later a 19 for CCW. I found the Glocks to be easier to work on (complete detail stripping takes ~3 minutes), parts easier to get (springfield won't send the end user replacement parts) and the finish to be far more durable. The weapon itself is almost impossible to break.

The grip safety on the XD also has to be fully depressed to manipulate the slide. This was a hinderance in one handed drills at an advanced class. I also understand that the grip safety issue can be a failure point, rendering the weapon unusable. I don't recall the details of the malfunction, but a smith mentioned seeing one with a live round in the chamber, where it could neither be fired nor cleared.

All in all, I prefer Glocks. The proof is in how each fits you though. One thing I love about taking classes is the chance to try other's gear. If you happen to be in WI / IL / MN, you're welcome to come out to a Defensive Edge class. There's always a selection of stuf to try out.

+1  

I'm a HK USP guy but really like my G19 for CCW when I'm in a state that allows it
I've seen XDs have mag problems (springs binding, etc.) in training classes.  I've also seen Glocks go down occasionally but on the whole, I think the Glocks & HKs have been more reliable (for me).

As others have stated before, the key to concealment is a good holster.  I'm on the Comp-Tac CTAC bandwagon.  Got one that allows me to CCW with a G19 + Streamlight TLR-1   After shooting at the range at night and seeing how hard it can be to coordinate 1-handed shooting while holding a flashlight to identify targets, I'm really digging the combo.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#42]
You've got a Ctac that will take a Glock with a light on it?!

I didn't know you could get those... do you have pictures?

I've got a TLR1 coming...  I might have to look into this.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
You've got a Ctac that will take a Glock with a light on it?!

I didn't know you could get those... do you have pictures?

I've got a TLR1 coming...  I might have to look into this.

Photoman has one as well, and I believe FMD does too. The CTAC is pretty popular with the WI Defensive Edge training crowd. As I understand it, Comp-Tac does them on a custom basis.

I have the "normal" CTAC, and absolutely love it. The question that hasn't been answered for me is if the CTAC that works with the light will also work without the light in place. If so, I'll end up swapping for one.

The Glock 19 in a CTAC is a great CCW package.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Go with the XD

I had a Glock 30 and Hated it!

Now I carry a XD and it hides well on my skinny self. It also shoots better than the glock as well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#45]
I ordered the G19 w/ TLR-1 holster directly from Comp-Tac (  [email protected]   281.209.3040  ) and it took about a week or so for it to arrive.  The guys at Tactical Response Gear usually have them in stock as well - or they can order it for you.  I'm a big fan of both companies.  If Tac. Resp. Gear doesn't have it ON their shelves, it's not on their website.  Everything I've ordered from them I've gotten in 3 days or so.

As for the C-TAC for the G19+ TLR-1, it really works best with the light being attached.  Retention without the light is a little loose for my taste - though I guess you could REALLY crank down the retention screws to hold it better.  I keep the light on my G19 all the time so it goes in the holster just fine.  I took a 2-day Fighting Pistol training class this past weekend and the holster worked great.  The training this weekend was pretty active and incorporated shooting with movement, sitting, supine, kneeling, etc. etc. I drew from concealment for the entire class (t-shirt tucked in behind the holster, hooded sweatshirt and sometimes a gore-tex jacket over everything as well (weather was pretty crappy) and I liked the setup.  It doesn't "Click" like most kydex due to the TLR1 preventing the kydex from being molded "into" the trigger guard area where most kydex holsters get their "click" from.  If I'm feeling dangerous, I might heat the kydex and put in a "dimple" near the part of the slide that's cut away for the rounds to eject (forward of the extractor where you can see the chamber) to make it "click".

The holster holds it fine but I do like my kydex "click"  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top