Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2011 10:50:07 PM EDT
Hey guys.  

I need a little advice on the care of my pistol after a day of having it get wet.  My buddy and I are going to do some back packing/exploring next weekend, and from how he explained the little bit of the terrain he saw, I'm pretty certain we'll be getting thoroughly soaked.  I want to take my G19 (I really want to take my 17L, but unfortunately someone polished the living hell out of the internals, and now everything is pretty much bare metal.), but I'm not sure what I'll need to do as far as maintenance goes after spending the day with it soaked.  

Can I just field strip it, and dry, clean, and oil everything from there?  Or does it need a more thorough cleaning?

Will I need to disassemble my magazines?  What about my ammo?

Should I just leave it in a dry bag?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 1:13:22 AM EDT
[#1]
That's Glock's natural habitat.

Just do a standard cleaning and lube when you get home.

All top quality pistol ammo is water proof as well.

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 2:42:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Take pictures of before and after and post them here.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Looks just like every other 19 and 17L.

I got a new dry bag today.  I'll try to get some pictures while we're out next weekend.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Wear it and don't worry about it!!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wear it and don't worry about it!!!

thanks, that's pretty much what I figured.

Now I'm just wondering if I bring a long gun, if my savage will be alright as well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#6]
If it just gets wet just clean it as usual. If you introduce sand or mud into the equation then I would recommend a more thorough cleaning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top