Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2009 11:43:15 AM EDT
Took my 19 to the range today and shot at the 7 yard and the sights were completley off, this is the first time ive taken it out. I enjoy the feel and the gun but what distance does glock set these up for? my local gun shop wants 60 to install and sight in new sights and i find that extremely high. any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#1]
define "completely off"––were were your shots/hits concentrated in relation to the bulls eye/your point of aim?

how much expierence do you have with shooting handguns and glocks in general?

FWIW: newer shooters to glocks tend to expierence poor accuracy/precision and blame the gun; 9 times out of 10, its the user and his/her interface with the glock, specifically, on manipulating the glock trigger, which tends to throw most users off until they get accustomed to them; ITS NOT THE SIGHTS

ETA: what kind of sights (brand, type, etc) are those that your smith is offering to install for $60? depending on which set, it might actually be a fair/well worth it price; agreed, the stock, factory glock plastic sights arent the toughest or best option, but they tend to work and are on (as long as its aligned) from the factory
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I've owned over a dozen Glocks. The factory sights have never been off. Post a reply to Alpha's questions above regarding your grouping and experience level and we'll go from there.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with previous poster - a high percentage of new Glock shooters are low left...a ways, especially at that short of range.  that said, Glock sights are notoriously 'cheap plastic' and often replaced.  look at warren tactical's, dawson precision's, and heinie's sights - my unofficial guess at the most popular after market glock sight sets - I have had all of them , just recently got my warren tactical set from MLE shooting sports, $55, IIRC - free shiping on $100+ orders, so look around a bit - range bag, knife sharpening system, mag carrier..or more expensive sights.

there are commonly available cheapo- punches - metal with a plastic tip - I even got one free with one of my sight orders - don't remember who I orddered those from.  I have changed Glock sights in and out several times with no damage to sights or slides.  pop out the front sight, the replacements often screw in, and there is another cheapy (also got one free) tool do that with.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I was aiming bulls eys and hitting lower right of the paper completley off the target, I also had a gentleman that has been shooting glocks and owns a 17 shoot it today and he was shooting the same place as i was. I have been shooting handguns for about 10 years and this is the first glock ive owned but like i said this other gentleman has had his 17 for several years now and he was dead on with his using the stock non adjustable sights. they said it is 60 for anysights which seems pretty hight then i asked him about buying night sights and he said 100 for the sights and 60 for install. I have a decent shot with my 1911 and also my airlight 38sp so im leaning on the sights.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was aiming bulls eys and hitting lower right of the paper completley off the target, I also had a gentleman that has been shooting glocks and owns a 17 shoot it today and he was shooting the same place as i was. I have been shooting handguns for about 10 years and this is the first glock ive owned but like i said this other gentleman has had his 17 for several years now and he was dead on with his using the stock non adjustable sights. they said it is 60 for anysights which seems pretty hight then i asked him about buying night sights and he said 100 for the sights and 60 for install. I have a decent shot with my 1911 and also my airlight 38sp so im leaning on the sights.

hmmm...

check the muzzle of the bbl––any burrs or rough spots? what kind of ammo? distance to the target?

on your stock sights, is is misaligned drastically?

are you a righty or lefty?

$60 just for labor of the install of sights, not inlcuidng the sights itself, is pricey imo; most smiths charge ~$30 or less...of course, glock sights are real easy to exchange and most can do it tthemselves

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#6]
This may help.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#7]
^^^^^ Excellent post!!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#8]
i really like that target, ive never seen anything like it... No burrs or rough spots of anykind and there is no drastic misaglinment with the sights. I was shooting wincester(sp) target and idk what he was shooting but he used his, I know it was a different brand had a darker colored casing possibly wolf. And the distance is 7 yards. I am also a lefty but the gentlemen was a righty.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I know when I first started shooting Glocks, finger position on trigger made a big difference.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know when I first started shooting Glocks, finger position on trigger made a big difference.

well i would go with that if the other guy wasnt dead on with his and then off with mine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#11]
anyone else???
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Used glock or new?  
If an experience glock shooter is missing the target completely same as you something sounds funny to me.
I'd try to get a cpl more people who shoot glocks to try it out if it's really that off at 7yrds it sounds like it needs a trip to glock.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:11:59 AM EDT
[#13]
+1

Get a couple more experienced shooter to shoot it. Do you have access to a pistol rest? This would take the human element out of the equation. As said above, off that much at 7 should be unlikely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top