Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2016 9:45:50 AM EDT
have a g19, I shoot left with the stock trigger. Tried trigger control but I still have problems. Shoot all my other pistols straight just fine, but both my glocks (19, 26) I shoot left.

If I install a flat apex trigger would this help? Its between apex and the overwatch precision tac trigger.

Thoughts on those triggers and the glock left problem?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:08:06 AM EDT
You need to practice more. It isn't the guns' faults.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:11:17 AM EDT
FPNI

dry fire

dry fire

dry fire

pretend you're trigger finger is carefully pressing the front sight back through the rear sight, without touching it.

when the shot breaks, the sights should stay centered on the target.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:36:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By tex7488:

If I install a flat apex trigger would this help?

View Quote

Probably not, since it's more likely to be a software problem than a hardware problem.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:39:45 AM EDT
I had the same issue with Glocks even after lots and lots of practice. Shoot my M&P's, 1911's, etc. just fine. Then someone told me to put more finger on the trigger and that did the trick for me.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:43:09 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KTM300XCW:
I had the same issue with Glocks even after lots and lots of practice. Shoot my M&P's, 1911's, etc. just fine. Then someone told me to put more finger on the trigger and that did the trick for me.
View Quote

Was coming here to post this. Use more finger and I bet it will straighten out.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:47:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 103:
View Quote

Generally hurts to hear this, but it's the truth. Swapping out parts isn't going to make you shoot better.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:57:58 AM EDT
I completely understand what you all are saying.

I shoot 5 other pistols of different make and caliber without any problem. I have read that due to the glock trigger being curved instead of flat it requires more finger on the trigger for centered shots.

I don't want to change muscle memory and have to focus on which pistol I'm using for which trigger pull/how much finger on the trigger.

Just curious if changing to a flat trigger will allow me to keep muscle memory and not have to concentrate on which pistol I'm using for which trigger/grip I use.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:05:43 PM EDT
I completely understand what you all are saying.

I shoot 5 other pistols of different make and caliber without any problem. I have read that due to the glock trigger being curved instead of flat it requires more finger on the trigger for centered shots.

I don't want to change muscle memory and have to focus on which pistol I'm using for which trigger pull/how much finger on the trigger.

Just curious if changing to a flat trigger will allow me to keep muscle memory and not have to concentrate on which pistol I'm using for which trigger/grip I use.
View Quote

I've had that same problem with my glocks, its taken years to start to straighten it out. I've heard people say that the round face on the glock trigger shoe is responsible for pitching shots, but I have no idea if thats true. I know I played around with adjusting the grip size via gen 4 inserts to allow more or less trigger finger but found it made no difference. It was only after I retaught myself how to press the trigger by forcing my index finger to stay off the frame almost entirely and to bend only at one joint (the first knuckle away from the hand or second from the tip) that I noticed my problem start to go away.

If you do install a flat face trigger and it does help you please let the rest of us know!
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:50:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:10:53 PM EDT
I had the same issue but will all of my pistols. Constantly shooting left. My ltc instructor gave me a couple of tips and they brought my shots to the right quite a bit.

Dry fire that sucker.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:35:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/24/2016 1:36:40 PM EDT by STJ]
Even with a slow press of the trigger I have a tenancy to shoot left if I let my grip loosen. (with the sights centered, 3-4" at 25 yards)

Keep in mind the gun will start to recoil before the bullet leaves the barrel. So a bad/weak grip will allow the gun to yaw. For most, being right handed, the gun will pitch to the left.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:42:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/24/2016 1:42:31 PM EDT by SuperSet72]
Have you tried to applying enough countertorque with your supporting thumb on that 'shelf'? I heard this from Frank Proctor who heard it from Dave Sevigny. It works!
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:08:22 PM EDT
It's 110% a software problem. Aka, user issue. Not the gun.

Grip the frame tight with your support hand, aka left hand. Grip as hard as you can without the sights moving.

Right hand, grip high up on the gun, grip pressure is only "front to back." No side pressure whatsoever. Pressure shouldn't as strong as the left hand.

Use more trigger finger. Just don't go past the first joint.

Its the Indian...not the arrow.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:19:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/24/2016 4:20:36 PM EDT by Marksman14]
I shot Glocks exclusively for a few years, went to M&P's, came back to Glocks; it threw me off, as personally I feel the M&P trigger (apex'd of course) is a nicer overall setup.

The Glock does require a bit more effort to keep it shooting straight, but a large portion of that is due to where the trigger pivots from, the angle the trigger sits at at rest versus when it breaks, and the angle your finger sits at if you use a proper high thumbs grip.

Long and short:

1- put a little more trigger finger in there than what conventional wisdom tells you
2- when you press the trigger toward the rear, pull the trigger rear and slightly right; due to the pivot angle and point of the trigger; if you break down the grip and watch your finger, you will realize that the angles the Glock naturally creates makes it very easy for what you perceive as a straight back press to actually be a slight left push on the trigger. Once you "pull right" a few times, you'll get the feel down, and if you watch the press, you will realize that what you perceive as a slight right pull is actually a perfectly rearward press.
3- remember your pinky on your strong hand, and your thumb on your support hand; those are the easiest fingers to forget about, but they make a WORLD of difference on the surface area of the gun your hands contact when you grip.

Give it a shot, I bet you straighten out just fine.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:24:22 PM EDT
I'll go against the grain and say get the Overwatch Precision trigger.
It shortens the pull length which helps a quite a bit for some people.
If I'm not focusing on my trigger pull, I'll sometimes shoot left with a stock trigger. Never really happens with my new setup (overwatch + ghost pro 3.3).
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:37:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By strangejames:
I'll go against the grain and say get the Overwatch Precision trigger.
It shortens the pull length which helps a quite a bit for some people.
If I'm not focusing on my trigger pull, I'll sometimes shoot left with a stock trigger. Never really happens with my new setup (overwatch + ghost pro 3.3).
View Quote

Thanks. info I was looking for.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:15:00 PM EDT
If you can perform well with other pistols and only have an issue with blocks ( you are not alone!) unless you are required to use a glock for some reason like duty gun (which usually can't be modded anyway) or shooting gssf matches ( gun has to stay stock too) just ditch glock and go with what worked for you.see no sense in fighting it tinkering and wasting time and money.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:22:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By captain127:
If you can perform well with other pistols and only have an issue with blocks ( you are not alone!) unless you are required to use a glock for some reason like duty gun (which usually can't be modded anyway) or shooting gssf matches ( gun has to stay stock too) just ditch glock and go with what worked for you.see no sense in fighting it tinkering and wasting time and money.
View Quote

I'm gonna try to stick with glock since they are so cheap and mags are cheap. Plus Carrying one is so comfortable (with vanguard 2). Plus 9mm ammo is cheaper than 45 right now, but almost half.

Ordered a flat face trigger. Gonna swap it when it comes and see if that works. If not then maybe I'll swap it for a p320 or something.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:39:14 PM EDT
i have the apex trigger in my g34. i shoot it worse than my bone stock g19
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:33:19 PM EDT
before spending $$ on fancy triggers or ditching Glocks all together, how about just drifting the rear sight over a bit?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:39:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mcantu:
before spending $$ on fancy triggers or ditching Glocks all together, how about just drifting the rear sight over a bit?
View Quote

Wouldn't that make it only accurate at the distance it was zero'd? I shoot competitions with unknown distance pistol targets, normally with a max range of 25 yards so that would vex me.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:29:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/25/2016 10:12:24 PM EDT by pokey074]
#1 - Put a G17 smooth trigger in your 19 and 26 and ditch the grooved trigger.

#2 - Practice, practice, practice.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:59:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/25/2016 12:10:49 PM EDT by STJ]

Wouldn't that make it only accurate at the distance it was zero'd? I shoot competitions with unknown distance pistol targets, normally with a max range of 25 yards so that would vex me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mcantu:

Just zero it for 25 yards. At shorter distance you are not going to be that far off.

I have all mine slightly drifted to the right for a 25 yard zero. No issues closer up, all in the center, and at 50 yards 12x12 steel hits are fine.

Up close you are shooting fast anyways and the rear sight position isn't as crucial compared to the front.

Zero your sights for a slow fire 25 yards, slow easy trigger pulls.

Then try a faster fire. If the shots stay centered around your point of aim your trigger pull isn't the issue. If they group to one direction you are yanking the trigger from speeding up your rate of fire.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:31:42 PM EDT
What helped me with my poi and groupings was changing to the oem minus connector and putting some grip tape on the grip. I used 3M safety walk tape.

I have sweaty hands and had a hard time maintaining a firm grip of the plastic grip, it was always squirming on me. So the grip tape helped a ton. I just put it on the front strap between the finger grooves and along the back strap.

The minus connector lightened the trigger pull just right to make it easier to stay on target throughout the pull.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:40:28 PM EDT
Don't be afraid to drift your rear sight over if your groups are consistent.

I've spent a lot of time and money trying to fix my grip, trigger finger, finger position, etc. I drifted my rear sight to the right, and everything stays lined up perfectly for me.

If you have a lot of windage/horizontal spread with your groups, then you have a consistency issue that you need to address. In that case, moving the sight will just move the mess more in the center without addressing the real issue of trigger control.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:24:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 103:
View Quote

Top Top