Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2003 8:00:59 AM EDT
I just tried out my new springfeild .45, it's sweet and very accurate, however it will fail to feed/go into battery sometimes (the round gets stuck half way in at an angle)

could this be cured by having a ramp and throat polishing job?

keeping in mind this is a brand new gun with only 50-75 rounds through it so far.

any help appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:42:34 AM EDT
[#1]
About how often is it happening?  Does it happen on the first round?   the last?  During quick firing or no matter how you fire?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:15:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Most 1911's come with crappy mag from what I hear.  Try a wilson mag, and run some more ammunition through, the gun may just be breaking in.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
in a string of about 10 mags it happened 3 times...later after firing another several mags, so the gun was a little dirty, it happened with different mags and actually the round was out of the mag already and was wedged between the chamber and the breach face as it was going into the throat.
if i releived the pressure of the slide just a little and released it, then it would slide right in.

any other ideas?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Certainly polishing the ramp & throating the barrel will help. As the others say, try a few different brand mags. Not all mags are equal spring quality.

Also try different ammo. Some ammo seems to pick up more problems than other brands, for whatever reason.

Are you using enough oil lube?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:04:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Assuming you were using "store bought" ammo and a have a low round count, it may need more break in time, or "borrow" someone elses mag that is known to work.
Not knowing if you used hardball or hollowpoints or reloads makes diagnosis harder.
It may be just a tight gun, some +P ammo may help fix that. At least having some fun during the process.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top