User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2012 5:49:05 AM EDT
Looking to get my first handgun..... I have been thinking of the 4 following -

XD Sub .40 -
Walther PPS 9mm -
Ruger LC9 -
Ruger LCP -

I know im looking at apples and oranges here... but i cant make up my mind on what to get for my first handgun. I do alot of woods/trail running and would like something that i can carry with me while running. I also want something that i can conceal easily as well.
I really love the XD but i feel it may be a little to heavy for what i am looking for.... and im thinking will be my second handgun purchase :)

The Walther PPS is really nice. I have not shot one yet, but was at the gun store last night holding and looking at one. Really liked it.

The Ruger LC9 to me is very similar to the PPS.... im guessing a little heavier though BUT it is almost half the price.

And then the Ruger LCP.... tiny... but would probably be a great running gun, just less stopping power.....

Im just thinking out loud here before making a purchase, but figured i would see what others had for input and maybe give me some thoughts i have not thought about yet on each.

thanks
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 5:58:13 AM EDT
[#1]
PPS

the lc9/lcp trigger is terrible. the SA on the PPS is worth the money.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 5:58:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Well for price vs. performance the obvious answer here is an LCP especially if you are wanting to run with it. It's a great little gun and you can find them used for around 270 what a deal.

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 6:13:09 AM EDT
[#3]
yes, im really liking the PPS.... $550

but the rugers are on sale right now... LCP is $259 and LC9 is $329. I have read the triggers on the Rugers are a mile pull, but there is a trigger kit that is supposed to really help them out....

keep the replies coming...
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 6:18:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

yes, im really liking the PPS.... $550

but the rugers are on sale right now... LCP is $259 and LC9 is $329. I have read the triggers on the Rugers are a mile pull, but there is a trigger kit that is supposed to really help them out....

keep the replies coming...

The triggers aren't bad at all. I can see how an inexperienced shooter might not like them. Trigger kit isn't needed. They are tough to pull because there is no manual safety of any kind which is exactly what you want in a self defense gun for obvious reasons. When things go wrong you need a gun that you can just pull and shoot.

I hit 3 inch plates with mine at about 20-30 feet, about every other shot hits. For a 9 ounce gun that fits in any pocket and is invisible that is pretty amazing.

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 7:00:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
PPS

the lc9/lcp trigger is terrible. the SA on the PPS is worth the money.

If you like the LC9, the trigger can be fixed with a kit from Galloway.  Mine has an awesome trigger.   I love my XD .40 sub, but it's a little thick for IWB.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Have you considered the new S&W M&P Shield. It comes in 9mm and.40 and barely bigger than a LC9. I like the Kel-Tec PF-9 better than the LC9 because of the lack of all the Ralph Nader type safeties.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 8:47:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I got the PPS and like it but you should add the Shield to your potential list.  Bit cheaper than the PPS.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have you considered the new S&W M&P Shield. It comes in 9mm and.40 and barely bigger than a LC9. I like the Kel-Tec PF-9 better than the LC9 because of the lack of all the Ralph Nader type safeties.

Does the Shield have a thumb safety?   I got rid of my LC9's mag safety, but I kinda like having the thumb safety.  I was thinking about checking out the M&P.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I have not looked at the S&W Shield-

but I will.... thanks
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Love my PPS would not trade it for any other sub pistol.  Tried the shield still like my PPS more.  It fits me just right with the big back strap.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#11]
since the XD is in there, i thought i would throw into the ring the SR9c  ... hard to beat for the money, a little thinner than the XD, able to hold 17 rounds and give you a full size grip, otherwise 10 with short mag, trigger is very nice, has thumb safety, reliable gun with lifetime warranty for about $425 .. i LOVE mine the only mod ive done is a set of Talon rubber grips.. its on my hip right now (usually carry my 1911 now but i still love this thing) .. plenty of aftermarket, mags arent crazy expensive, fit/finish is nice, and having shot a glock and owned a XDsc .40 that because of the SR9c i never even shot before I sold it, i think its the best thing goin right now a real sleeper.. Rugers are great

oh, and ofcourse a .40 cal is available for same price if you would like
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I just picked up a PPS 9mm. I've put about 200 rounds through it and I really like this pistol. I liked the LC9 a lot, but I didn't want to deal with the trigger, getting the kit etc. It isn't cheap but I had the money and I really liked it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Main thing is to pick something you would carry daily. The Ruger LCP is a good choice for a pocket pistol. The Walther PPS is another good choice and has a bit more power and can be comfortably concealed IWB.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had a 9mm PPS for three years and it's been a very fine handgun in every respect.  

Very accurate,  uber reliable (2,600 rds. of assorted fmj and jhp ammo through it with zero failures to date), good balance and points naturally.

The PPS is easy to take apart for cleaning and a pleasure to carry.  Walther hit a homerun with this pistol and it's worth a few extra dollars IMO.

Good luck with your decision OP.

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does the Shield have a thumb safety?   I got rid of my LC9's mag safety, but I kinda like having the thumb safety.  I was thinking about checking out the M&P.

Yes Sir.I believe that it does.I don't mind a thumb safety either.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#16]
XD SC .40 or Glock 27. I know thats not on you list but I have both. Both are great guns but I find the 27 alittle more comfortable to carry.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I love my PPS but have not shot anything you listed besides the LCP (which I hated due to the trigger).

I've run with my PPS as well and have had no problems.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I have an LCP and carry it all the time. I'm leery of recommending it for a first pistol because it isn't fun to shoot nor is the .380 ammo cheap like a 9x19mm. But if that is the one that you want, then it will be a most welcome companion while jogging at nights if you run into any 'difficulties'. For me, it shoots about 1' above point of aim in rapid fire strings due to the trigger on it but I compensate for it to get COM hits with it. YMMV and others will dog pile on me that I'm doing something wrong but that is how it works for me. It is for halitosis range encounters and that is good enough for that.

I've met several LEO's at the gun shop that have gotten the S&W Shield and have wrung it out on their range. All of them are very impressed with it and some have even sold off their other compacts since it is that good.

My recommendation is to go to a rental range and try out the S&W Shield, the Walther PPS, and the Ruger LC9 to see what fits your hand to shoot best  then buy that one. The XD Sub in .40 is going to have a lot stiffer recoil plus be heavier & thicker which will be a bigger hassle to carry while running.

My wager will be that you will get the S&W Shield if you do try it out.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have an LCP and carry it all the time. I'm leery of recommending it for a first pistol because it isn't fun to shoot nor is the .380 ammo cheap like a 9x19mm. But if that is the one that you want, then it will be a most welcome companion while jogging at nights if you run into any 'difficulties'. For me, it shoots about 1' above point of aim in rapid fire strings due to the trigger on it but I compensate for it to get COM hits with it. YMMV and others will dog pile on me that I'm doing something wrong but that is how it works for me. It is for halitosis range encounters and that is good enough for that.

I've met several LEO's at the gun shop that have gotten the S&W Shield and have wrung it out on their range. All of them are very impressed with it and some have even sold off their other compacts since it is that good.

My recommendation is to go to a rental range and try out the S&W Shield, the Walther PPS, and the Ruger LC9 to see what fits your hand to shoot best  then buy that one. The XD Sub in .40 is going to have a lot stiffer recoil plus be heavier & thicker which will be a bigger hassle to carry while running.

My wager will be that you will get the S&W Shield if you do try it out.

Believe it or not, my LC9 has significantly more felt recoil than my XD 40 sub.  I put a heavier spring in it, which helped a lot.  Now, it may be about the same, but it's smaller handle still makes it less pleasant than the XD.  My wife carries a Kahr PM9, and she won't fire my Ruger.  That's one of the reasons I'm interested in trying the M&P.

You're correct about the XD being thick and heavy, though.  I mostly carry mine in a shoulder rig.

eta:  Check out the Kahr 9mm pistols, too.  Very nice, and good shooting.  IMHO, there is no reason to settle for a .380.  In Germany, it's called a 9mm Kurtz, which means 9mm short.  The diameter is the same, so there's no size advantage.  Practice ammo costs a lot more, and it's a very weak round for SD.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 2:53:43 AM EDT
[#20]
For  CCW piece I would go with the PPS hands down.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I would go with the SC XD but in 9mm, because I hate .40.

I had one and loved it. Only got rid of it cause the wife wanted something smaller

I wouldn't start on the smaller guns like the LC9 or LCp, most of the ones I've shot seem to be pretty in consistent with accuracy and that can be pretty discouraging for a beginner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top