Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2002 5:33:51 PM EDT
Ok Ive decided that a new rifle can wait for a few months. My next gun is going to be a handgun of some sort. I was hoping To get some purchace advice from all of you guys. Here are the standerds. I will list them in order of importance. These are not set in stone and I am willing to compromise so if you see a problem that I don't let me know.

Mag fed semi-auto

1-calliber: must be .45 or .40
2-Quality: not nesasaraly SEAL grade but somthing that will last my lifetime.
3-price:under $600 preferably under $500 (damn gvt job)
4-I prefer DA but SA is ok too.
5-material- I prefer all metal to polymer
7-upgradabality and spare parts: don't need to be hunting all over the world for parts.

Thats all I can think of for now. Feel free to point me in the direction of some good educational web sites(handgun rerlated) if you can. Additional comments and opinions are welcome!

JIM
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#1]
in your price range,and caliber/material choice i would say the beretta model 96 in 40. would be a damn fine gun.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry Pal, you can't get something with all that for 5 to 6 Hundred. You'll have to spend $650 to $750 to fit the bill. Get a Sig or an H&K in 45 and you'll NEVER regret it. The 1911's are nice but require parts replacements on a regular basis. Not so with the German pistols. Forget the Glocks . You'll never replace anything in a Sig or H&K but you;ll have to get a Glock worked over for reliability ( that's what the FBI does with ALL their GLOCKS ).
Save your money and buy QUALITY first. Suck it up & buy the best... you'll be way ahead in the future.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sorry Pal, you can't get something with all that for 5 to 6 Hundred. You'll have to spend $650 to $750 to fit the bill. Get a Sig or an H&K in 45 and you'll NEVER regret it.

sigh... I was afraid someone would say that. Whats your thoughts on the Beretta 96 pipefitter recomended?

JIM
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#4]
H&K or Sig......I second that.  My personal preference is an H&K, I got my USP40c for $500, it was on consignment, but has obviously never been fired by the owner.

You can always find a good solid deal.

Ed
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 12:24:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a Sig P220 if you want a .45 ACP. Or a Sig P226 or P229 in .40 if that's the route you choose to take. They can be found in your price range. I bought a nice demo P229 in .40 for $525 at a nearby shop and got my P220 LNIB for $550. Just keep your eyes open and look around...you can find Sigs under $600. I did and they were in terrific condition.

As far as quality, they are as good as they come. The things have an outstanding double action trigger pull (so smooth) and they are very accurate pistols. I have never had a malfunction with one....ever.

I think the Sig is the best choice based on your requirements. Choose the weapon that so many Federal agencies and special forces have chosen....such as the DEA, Air Marshals, Secret Service, US Navy Seals and a host of other city and state agencies. IMHO, they are more accurate and more reliable than the Beretta....at least in my experience with both types.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 5:48:06 AM EDT
[#6]
SiG 245, 226, 239, 229 or 220.

Springfield XD.

Springfield Loaded ($569.99 @ CDNN)

CZ 40

CZ 75

FN 49

Steyr M-40

EAA Witness Tactical II

S&W 4506

GLOCK 22 (399.99 @ CDNN)

There are a few to get you started. All are under $600, most under $500 and many Under $400.00.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 5:52:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 6:18:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Now that the holiday season is upon us, some people "dump" that "extra" gun for some ready cash. I think it would be a good time to visit a gunshow and keep an eye on the folks walking the isles. By doing so, you may even get a bargain on whatever you find (haggling is normal). Just be aware some do dump junkers there too.
You never really said exactly what it's main use would be...investment, ccw, nightstand, target shooting or customizing. Hand size would affect choice too.
For parts, ya can't beat a 1911 type, although some of the others are just a matter of a phone call.
I hope I opened a few more options given the dollar amount stated.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 7:18:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Try a couple of different guns if you can.

Don't listen to people who Praise only one gun .

Try some out for yourself.

Oh yeah , The Glock is a Fine Gun I have four of them but I also have a Kimber and Beretta and a few wheel guns.I like the all!

"you;ll have to get a Glock worked over for reliability ( that's what the FBI does with ALL their GLOCKS "

Link Posted: 12/11/2002 3:19:42 AM EDT
[#10]
If you have to buy new you can easily get a Glock for under $500.  Used there are a lot of deals out there.  Berretta, Sig, Glock, H+K, even Ruger (although not as accurate as the others) are all good reliable guns.  Lots of used and police trade in stuff around.  Try a few and see what fits your hand.  What you like is more important that what some guys on the net do.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 8:24:02 AM EDT
[#11]
The CZ 97 (.45) sounds like the perfect choice.  I've seen them for $500 in my local shops.  Also don't overlook the CZ 75 or 85 in .40, these tend to be in the $350 range.

The Ruger autos are good guns in the $300-400 range.  They are a bit clunky but plenty reliable and accurate enough.

I have had good luck with the 3rd generation S&W autos, like the 5906 and 4506.  Due to their unpopularity they can often be had for $350 or so used.

The Walther and Springfield XD are two good polymer guns that should meet your criteria, and both are well under $600.

If you want to go SIG or HK, I have regularly seen used models going for $500-550.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Ditto the CZ-97B in .45ACP!  Can carry it cocked-and-locked, or DA.  Great quality for a lot less than it should cost.  Not a SIG220, but better than a Beretta, IMHO.

For a straight SA, I'd go with the Pointman Minor by Dan Wesson Firearms.

Both of these weapons have MSRPs less than 6 bills.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:29:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I second the Ruger. I have one in 9mm their P95D and I have had absolutely no problems with it and I paid 300.00 for it NIB. But I think thier P90 are 40 or 45 I cant remember though.

KC
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#14]
i hate to say it but you probably won't find the quality you're looking for in a metal framed gun under $600.

if polymer is ok i would say go for the XD40. you can find them in the $380 range still.

ian
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I forgot to add that you could get a new Browning HiPower, any of the Steyrs, and a ton of great guns from Hungary, Romania, south Africa, Israel and Argentina for well under $500.00.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#16]
One thing that wasn't mentioned; are you interested in concealed carry with this piece, or do you just want a good shooting gun?
If you don't want to carry I'd second any of the Sig or Beretta suggestions.  Obviously Sig makes some mid-size guns that could be carried, or you could go with a Kahr if you really want an easily concealed piece.
I like Glocks too, but you said you don't want polymer.  If you do lean towards polymer, I would deffinately go with the Glock over the HK, but that's just personal preference.

Keep an eye out for LE turn in Berettas.  They usually have some holster wear, but typically don't get shot more than twice a year, and often come with one or two hi-caps (at least the 9mm FHP guns did, I have no idea if a .40 one would).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top