Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/5/2004 10:58:48 AM EST
Are there any issues with dry firing a beretta 92?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:59:18 AM EST
Not really
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:45:23 PM EST
I use snap caps to be on the safe side.

Great way to improve your shooting skills, so that you can "perfect practice" with live ammo.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:09:51 PM EST
Beretta says use a snap cap on their site and in their manuals.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:43:13 AM EST
Ok thanks. Guess ill pick up a pack of snapcaps. I could always use them to train for failures to fire too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:47:11 AM EST
The military snaps in with the M9 (and M16 for that matter) all the time, without snap caps with no ill effect.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:51:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By Major_98:

I dry fire mine all the time, infact I dry fire it more than i shoot it with live rounds. I normaly just leave the safety on that way the hammer ain't hitting the FP anyway. Now that I think about it, is that a good thing to do? I can;t really see how it would be bad but ya never know.......
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:18:45 AM EST

Originally Posted By photoman:

I dry fire mine all the time, infact I dry fire it more than i shoot it with live rounds. I normaly just leave the safety on that way the hammer ain't hitting the FP anyway. Now that I think about it, is that a good thing to do? I can;t really see how it would be bad but ya never know.......

How do you fire it with the safety on? When my safety is on, the gun drops the hammer, and will not fire until safety is off.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:31:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By gunman0:

Originally Posted By photoman:

I dry fire mine all the time, infact I dry fire it more than i shoot it with live rounds. I normaly just leave the safety on that way the hammer ain't hitting the FP anyway. Now that I think about it, is that a good thing to do? I can't really see how it would be bad but ya never know.......

How do you fire it with the safety on? When my safety is on, the gun drops the hammer, and will not fire until safety is off.

Yer right, Brain fart. WTF was I thinking It's the P22 that I dry fire with the safety on.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:43:46 AM EST
Dry firing of a Beretta 9x will eventually cause damage to the firing pin. The shoulder of the pin within the slide is being battered due to the fact that the tip of the pin has nothing to transfer its energy into.
This will take many many thousands if not tens of thousands of dry fires to cause. Firing pins are cheap too, the only trouble is diassembling the slide to replace it. You can tell if it is broken usually by removing the extractor claw and witnessing the firing pin.
Get a snap cap, or throw an empty shell into the chamber at the very least.
-Steve
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:16:58 AM EST
Top Top